Audi dealer charging £51 for "headlamp alignment"

• Thread starter imported_monkeytrousers
  • Start date
I

imported_monkeytrousers

Hi,

My S3 was in for its first MOT at an Audi dealer today.

It passed, subject to me having to pay £51 for them to realign one of the headlights. Apparently it was not pointing in quite the right direction and was a MOT failure point.

I agreed to the work but I haven't paid them yet.

Do you think £51 is reasonable? I have no idea about the complexities of this job.

Thanks.

Sounds totally unreasonable, the MOT centre that I use charges from a fiver, plus your car should still be under warranty so if it is related to the levelling motors it ought to be covered. Also the alignment should be checked as part of the service so come MOT time you would expect the alignment to be correct.

Unfortunate evidence to the recent discussion on where to get MOT's done!!

Sorry mate sounds a very typical story.

Do you have self levelling headlights i.e Xenon's?

Either way ask for a break down of the labour and parts cost.

My MOT place does the headlamp levelling for free or sorry did. S3 has self levellers.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, they are Xenons and there is no dial on the dash to level the lights manually.

I have checked the Audi warranty and it says headlamp adjustment for MOTs is definitely covered! So I will dispute this charge when I settle up with them tomorrow.

I know there are much cheaper places for MOTs but I had some warranty work (broken headlamp washers) to be done so for convenience I got everything done in one hit at the dealer.

Despite the high charges the customer service is usually excellent and they valet the car too for "free" (paid for by the high prices of course!)

Can headlight adjustment be done using VAG-COM?

Sounds typical Audi stealer prices /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

..as for 'free' valet they can stuff it next time - dont know what they use to wash the car but whatever it was stripped the lovely layer of Zymol wax I spent hours applying a couple of weeks before right off! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

A

ah well if its under warranty - let them be as picky as they like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and charge you as much as they like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I guess Audi UK will reimburse them - wonder if they state £51 on that invoice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

anyway...

good work fella /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Cheers - they agreed with me and made no charge. Unfortunately they have damaged an alloy wheel while changing a tyre so I shall have to go back and get them to smooth it out ...