Started painting my door switch surrounds. What do you think?

Markb

Reaction score
As subject started painting my door switch surrounds today to match the S3 items. (Cheaper then the silly price Audi quoted for them £200+ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif )

Here are the pics in progress (The light in these pics doesn't do them justice):

doorswitchsurrounds01.jpg

doorswitchsurrounds02.jpg

doorswitchsurrounds03.jpg

What do you think? Just need to lacquer them tomorrow.

I think they should look good.

Could of done them in Carbon or stainless effect - that might of looked cool.

Look good so far though...

Did you have to take the whole door card off to get them off?

Anyone interested doing it themselves needs a lot of patience LOL

You need to:

Remove rubber covering surface
Flatten dimpled surface
Plastic prime
Filler prime
Flatten smooth
Spray paint
Lacquer

Not much then LOL

[ QUOTE ]
Could of done them in Carbon or stainless effect - that might of looked cool.

Look good so far though...

Did you have to take the whole door card off to get them off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Could have, but I like the colour I have done them as it's metalic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Also matches this that I made:

pld1custompod.jpg

Yes had to remove the door cards.

[ QUOTE ]
Your car is going to be something quite special when it is done mate. Hope all the hard work pays off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers I hope so.

Just playing about with some other iterior parts as we speak LOL

[ QUOTE ]
And what is that thing in the ashtray bit?

[/ QUOTE ]

A line driver for my stereo. To up the voltage of the pre outs to 6V before they hit my EQ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hey mark these look great will you post the pics when you put them back on the car?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
hey mark these look great will you post the pics when you put them back on the car?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hope to see it IRL at the next Midland meet Mark, if ever we arrange another one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets get one planned early then matey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I can do any weekend from the 30th July to the 28th August.

Arrange it at another pub with some good roads and we are sorted as long as we have some good weather /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

looks good,id like to go down the brushed aluminium way for them like the R32

[ QUOTE ]
Looking good. Do you have any pics of how you made the ashtray housing. I have something similar i want to house on my a3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I don't mate, but it was a pain to make LOL

I have made it so that it fixes where the rubber mat was so if I ever sell the car I can cover the holes with the rubber mat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

i've done this mod but in silver...

problem was, my ex scratched the paint with a ring she was wearing & i had to redo it all - i wasn't a happy bunny!

but i'd forgotten which silver i'd used coz i had about 3 different tones laying around. so i had to do both again so they matched. however, this time it didn't go so well and the paint reacted badly and has cracked and lifted in places.... boo!

it doesn't look too bad but i'm fussy about it and i might take all the bits to get them sprayed by a pro!

here's how they looked at first:
www.mattstevens.co.uk/car/door1.jpg
www.mattstevens.co.uk/car/door2.jpg

now they're similar but with imperfections that bug me everytime i get in the car!

girlfriends are rubbish!

[ QUOTE ]
i've done this mod but in silver...

problem was, my ex scratched the paint with a ring she was wearing & i had to redo it all - i wasn't a happy bunny!

but i'd forgotten which silver i'd used coz i had about 3 different tones laying around. so i had to do both again so they matched. however, this time it didn't go so well and the paint reacted badly and has cracked and lifted in places.... boo!

it doesn't look too bad but i'm fussy about it and i might take all the bits to get them sprayed by a pro!

here's how they looked at first:
www.mattstevens.co.uk/car/door1.jpg
www.mattstevens.co.uk/car/door2.jpg

now they're similar but with imperfections that bug me everytime i get in the car!

girlfriends are rubbish!

[/ QUOTE ]

hi the links dont seem to be working