Stiff trying to get into 1st?

Murf

Reaction score
Its sometimes stiff trying to get it into 1st when cars cold. Any Ideas?

One other thing is there a cheap place i can buy screws for the under tray?

Cheers

Last edited:
Yeah, from Audi.

My car is often stiff going into first. Put it in second first and it should slide in ;)

I maybe wrong here - but a Gearbox oil change may sort that out...anyone else agree?

First doesn't really do it for me in that way. Stiff as a board at 3k rpm in 2nd though.

images

I put Castrol Syntrax in mine and the previous problems selecting first have now gone :)

I maybe wrong here - but a Gearbox oil change may sort that out...anyone else agree?

Nope, they are sealed for life. My car has 180k on it and it feels perfect. Prawns car did 200+ with no issues. I think!!!

Mine is a pre facelift, if you fancy an upgrade the facelift linkage is a LOT tighter and and much better feel.

Mine used to be really stiff going into second when cold. Changed the gearbox oil with the proper stuff from Audi which is very well priced and it changes perfectly now. It's worth adjusting the gear linkage at the same time while you're at it.

Same here, even with a short shift linkage. It's fine once warm. I always put it down to cold oil.

the actual selector fork thing could be stiff maybe?

dunno if its related too much but my mate had a screw driver that fell in the engine bay and forgot about it and he couldnt get it into first because it couldnt move the fork. So i guess it could have some effect