What is this Haldex Controller for please?

Ginge

It's never fast enough !
Reaction score
Hemel Hempstead (home) / Loughborough (UNI)
IMAG0294.jpg

Purchased for my S3 however did not work, I then discovered that the cabling is different to mine so I am now wondering what it is for. The ad said it came off a 2003 a3 quattro, did the later models have a different controller?

Thanks!!

Here is a photo of the cables from my old one/

IMAG0295.jpg

That's a gen 1 controller. If the plugs are the same I wouldnt be.concerned about colour of the wires. If its a known working controller and it didnt work, your haldex problem lies else where.

Check plug on the car, rewire if nessesary, check wiring to the precharge pump too.

Thanks for the help but I have had this ageeeeees. The problem was fixed when I put on a controller with the same wires.... This is a known working controller and the plugs are the same but it didn't work on my car :)

No probs dude, bought the top one pictured and that didnt work, so bought another one (not pictured) which did and is on the car so I am left with this (first one)... contacted the original seller and am assured it works, the other photo is the original broken one off the car :)

Last edited:
Cars with ESP had a different controller, I fell foul of this when I put an r32 diff in my car, I had to swap my controller onto the replacement diff.

Cars with ESP had a different controller, I fell foul of this when I put an r32 diff in my car, I had to swap my controller onto the replacement diff.

Is that a fact!? Can someone please check the part numbers for the Haldex Controller between a 99 APY and 2000 X reg for me please?

It's the only thing I can put it down to tbh. I bought a complete 2003 r32 diff and controller, fitted it to my ultra early 99 s3 and it was in fwd, I swapped the controller to my apy one and it was perfect. I've since fitted the r32 controller to another car that had controller issues and it worked fine. The 2 do physically look different aswell.

so the r32 one (esp) didnt work for your apy (non esp)
but the r32 worked for an esp car.
that does suggest there is a difference.

Correct. I'll check the part numbers in the morning.

If thats the case then how does the performance haldex controller work on non esp cars then?

Just did some research on the haldex.. Gen 1 was in 98 and Gen 2 was in 2002. Thats probably why Benjamin had that problem with the R32 one. I think it will work joe because i dont think they would of changed the haldex controller like that, should be the Gen1 still.

Ginge if its from a 2003 then its gen2.

Last edited:
Gen2 diffs are completely different. The controller bolts to the other side of the unit. My s3 diff and the 03 diff were both gen 1 but the controller was different aswell as a few minor differences in the casting.

This thread is proof if ever I needed it that Haldex is gay.

Reactions: BENJAMIN
Weight>S3

Dare I say it, I'd have a sportback :)puke2:) before I had an S3.

Well it seems you don't have the choice so go and get back in your A3 :moa:

Ginge - Apologies for the unnecessary thread derailing!