EM TuningAH Fabrications
    1st Gear

Status

Fitting an oil pressure / oil temp and boost gauge...

Hi all,

Im looking to fit oil temp / oil pressure and boost gauges to my audi S3.
    I test engines at work and fit these kind of gauges for testing purposes but i have a few questions to those who have already installed such instruments.

- Has anyone ever used or rated these ?...
    Sump Plug Adaptor Oil Temp Gauge For VW VAG Audi 1.8T | eBay

- Can you upload some pictures of your installations ( Pictures of where you mounted guages / Places that you tapped into for feeds,sendors )

- Where is the best and most accurate place to take the boost reading from ? is there anywhere other than using a fitting on the boost pipe ?

- Also if anyone can post links to gauges that they've used that would be useful. Im looking for some discreet gauges / nothing big or in your face, the smaller the better really.

Any help or advice , appreciated as always :D

Thanks in advance ,

Jon.
    Last edited by JonBoi21; 23rd October 2011 at 13:43.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Is there a way i can fit a X3 panel into mine where the head unit is ?.

Ive got a single din head unit in mine :/...

1st Gear

Status
    Anyone ???

1st Gear

Status
    Noone able to give some insight ?...

6th Gear

Status
    I think Tufty's liquid gauge gives all of those readings
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JonBoi21 View Post
    Hi all,

Im looking to fit oil temp / oil pressure and boost gauges to my audi S3.
    I test engines at work and fit these kind of gauges for testing purposes but i have a few questions to those who have already installed such instruments.

- Has anyone ever used or rated these ?...
    Seen a few of these on Ibizas that have come through the workshop and not that impressed tbh... generally leak and always scared to undo them for oil changes....

- Where is the best and most accurate place to take the boost reading from ? is there anywhere other than using a fitting on the boost pipe ?
    Personally... not off the FPR... its too important for this to get boost pressure and t-ing off this adds points of failure...

As I have removed the PCV and other pipes I take mine direct from the inlet manifold but t-ing off the DV (the feed from the manifold before the N249 if you haven't done an N249 delete)

- Also if anyone can post links to gauges that they've used that would be useful. Im looking for some discreet gauges / nothing big or in your face, the smaller the better really.

Any help or advice , appreciated as always :D

Thanks in advance ,

Jon.

Loads of threads on this, use the search facility.. there are also a couple of guides in the stickies..

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for your posts gents ,

I had seen the line before the DV being used so that sounds like a safe bet as ive not carried out the delete.4

I agree with your comment on the sump fitting was thinking it would be tricky dropping the oil.. so a sandwich plate is the next option ? , I had a look under the bonnet quick but coulndt see any obv places to fit the oil pressure sendor ??..

I used the search tool and i couldnt seem to find anything, are there any posts on fitting the 3 x gauge head unit facia and how to do this keeping the single din head unit and air controls??..

Many thanks , Jon

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex C View Post
    I think Tufty's liquid gauge gives all of those readings
    Liquid will do boost and oil temp but not together and no oil pressure either... oil temp and boost is on the multi gauge setup but its not very stable on 8L's and crashes Liquid... oil temp is taken from the instruments controller and the boost from the ecu...

I had my firmware changed so it showed AFR instead of oil temps and is the gauge I use the most (air intake temp, coolant temp, EGT's and AFR)

Thanks for your posts gents ,

I had seen the line before the DV being used so that sounds like a safe bet as ive not carried out the delete.4

I agree with your comment on the sump fitting was thinking it would be tricky dropping the oil.. so a sandwich plate is the next option ? , I had a look under the bonnet quick but coulndt see any obv places to fit the oil pressure sendor ??..

I used the search tool and i couldnt seem to find anything, are there any posts on fitting the 3 x gauge head unit facia and how to do this keeping the single din head unit and air controls??..

Many thanks , Jon
    Only 3 pod fitting I have seen on an 8L was the Russian guys S3 (can't remember his name off hand) with the BT install... he replaced the centre vents... basically your choices are limited... tbh more than one pod on the pillar is too many... all the LCR/Ibiza installs I have seen make the view out of the windscreen limiting... not a fan personally but each to their own...

I have seen the Mk4 Golf steering column pod used before... this can house 2 gauges and sits on the top cowl of the steering column then you could have a single pillar pod...

Oil pressure sender can be screwed into the top of the oil filter housing using the plugged hole by the turbo oil feed or tee'd off where the oil pressure switch is on the same housing

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

1st Gear

Status
    FWIW - I wouldn't imagine taking an oil temp reading from the sump would be the most accurate place to take it..

I've not really had a proper look at the Audi engine layout - but a better place (if possible) would be to buy a sandwich plate that sits between the filter and the block (these usually have at least 2 blanks on them and you'd be able to run temp from one and pressure from the other) - you'd need to check clearance etc - like I said, just an idea and I've not looked into it/checked myself (but it would be the preferred location for more accurate readings).
    * 2013 BMW 116d M Sport: current
    * 2002 Audi A3 1.8T Sport (8L): current
    * 2003 Mercedes Benz C200K Avantgarde SE (W203): current
    * 1998 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster (E36/7): now sold
    * 1998 BMW 316i Compact (E36): now crushed!!

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    The A4 has an oil temp sensor on the dash as standard. Early cars had a sensor in the filter housing, but later ones use the level sensor in the sump.

So clearly using the sump is acceptable as far as Audi are concerned.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    The A4 has an oil temp sensor on the dash as standard. Early cars had a sensor in the filter housing, but later ones use the level sensor in the sump.

So clearly using the sump is acceptable as far as Audi are concerned.
    Possibly true (I doubt there would be too much variance in temp between the two points in any case).. but given the fact that once you fit a sensor in a sandwich plate you won't need to remove it again (plus the fact that you'll be able to run an oil pressure sensor from one as well) seems to make it a no brainer.. it'll probably be *slightly* more accurate, you won't have any clearance issues and it won't cause any leaks or any other issues come oil service time (i've seen issues where people have sump sensors which leak after being refitted when the oil is changed) - it was just a suggestion
    Last edited by pangsterA3; 24th October 2011 at 22:28.

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for the posts all,

- Tuffty - Thanks I agree fitting the oil temp sendor into the oil plug or alternitively using a sandwich plate is a good idea.

With regards to the 3 x gauge facia i was thinking of using on of these ? - DIN Pod Rack Headunit Cup Gauges Holder 52mm Boost | eBay

Tuffty - am i correct in sayin the pre facelift S3's dont have the large storage compartment under the air con buttons / controls. If so can this set up be put into the facelift s3 to allow for a spare single din above the headunit ??

Many thanks , Jon

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Not sure prefacelift bits would fit and it not sure if any or many were double din... only realistic way to do it imo is to get the double din adaptor for an A4 and go single din head unit... looks a bit like this one and would need trimming to fit...

FP-05-07 Audi A4 2002-2006 Black Single DIN Fascia Facia Adaptor Panel Surround | eBay

From the pic in the ebay link you sent me that looks like what they have done there... removed a double din unit and fitted an aftermarket single din unit

<tuffty/>

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for the posts all,

- Tuffty - Thanks I agree fitting the oil temp sendor into the oil plug or alternitively using a sandwich plate is a good idea.

With regards to the 3 x gauge facia i was thinking of using on of these ? - DIN Pod Rack Headunit Cup Gauges Holder 52mm Boost | eBay

Tuffty - am i correct in sayin the pre facelift S3's dont have the large storage compartment under the air con buttons / controls. If so can this set up be put into the facelift s3 to allow for a spare single din above the headunit ??

Many thanks , Jon

Omori do a 3 x 52mm gauge panel.. They do a stepped/angled one and a flat one. Ive installed one in a previous car and they were top bits of kit.. The only problem was that I couldn't find a UK supplier so had to import direct from Japan.. It was c£40 iirc. If you do a google for: Omori din panel - it might help.

Couldn't find pics of one installed in an Audi - but got some pics of one in a Golf (next best thing! LOL!):

EDIT: or it looks like your eBay one could do the job! Lol!!
    Last edited by pangsterA3; 25th October 2011 at 17:32.

5th Gear

Status
    boost gauge. tap into Dv or FPR

oil temp i used this item

can't remember what size bolt it needs

can't help with oil pressure
    Audi A3 8L 1.8T breaking.
    front bumper, impact bar, slam panel, full engine and loom sold.
    everything else for sale.

BÜBENGRÖPEN

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ;1398391
    Personally... not off the FPR... its too important for this to get boost pressure and t-ing off this adds points of failure...

As I have removed the PCV and other pipes I take mine direct from the inlet manifold but t-ing off the DV (the feed from the manifold before the N249 if you haven't done an N249 delete)
    I assume the feed from the inlet runs direct to the DV if the N249 is removed? I do want to remove the N249 in mine but I need to try and follow the vac lines from the DV to the inlet ad they are 'hidden' from what i remember. I will have to have a look tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by pangsterA3 View Post
    Omori do a 3 x 52mm gauge panel.. They do a stepped/angled one and a flat one. Ive installed one in a previous car and they were top bits of kit.. The only problem was that I couldn't find a UK supplier so had to import direct from Japan.. It was c£40 iirc. If you do a google for: Omori din panel - it might help.

Couldn't find pics of one installed in an Audi - but got some pics of one in a Golf (next best thing! LOL!):

EDIT: or it looks like your eBay one could do the job! Lol!!
    To be honest I never knew about this car prior to setting up my ideas but I have used this exact idea... currently I only have a boost guage in the middle location. I think the fascia plate is for an Audi A4 (my A3 originally came with the Stmphony Double DIN) but will get a photo tomorrow. The DIN unit for the pods is Newsouth.
    Kristian
    No longer an Audi driver...