Regular Unleaded Vs Super Unleaded

chris-edin

Reaction score
Not something I've really given any thought to, sure most on here will be running super.

But does a couple of RON really make much difference? Surely the additives and stuff are pretty much the same?

Has anybody ever done a RR run with standard / super?

Thoughts......

If its a standard car, especially the 150hp turbo models or non-turbos, you wont see much advantage from super unleaded.

Tuned cars and higher output stock turbo cars like the 180's and the 210/225 engines will typically see a fair bit of timing pull (and as a result less power) on 95 octane fuel than on super.

I've a standard S3, 210bhp

Hmm, that's interesting, TBH mine usually gets regular.

Have to go out my way to get a petrol station with super.

I'll stick a few tanks of Super through to see if I notice any difference.

I used to run super a few years ago but switched to regular when prices rocketed. Only difference I can tell is a cheaper fill up!

Standard S3 btw

I've defiantly noticed a difference in Super, driven sensibly, I can get about an extra 50 miles to a tankfull compared to normal unleaded and the car feels more lively. I've also noticed a difference between brands, texaco being the worst.
I did manage to get hold of some 102 octane fuel at one point, that was really good :racer:.

thats the difference I notice too, getting better mileage from it, but then it costs more so I don't know which is more cost effective.

I don't do enough miles in mine to worry about the cost of fuel, if I was using the car to commute then i'd probably be running it on regular to be honest.

I cannot believe that this has come up again, it's almost weekly this is asked.

Your S3 should be run on Super for max power, it "can" run on lower octane, but economy,power and smothness suffer.

Also it takes more than a few quid to make a difference, you need to run at least a tank through to allow the ECU to adapt correctly to the new fuel. It' the same when going back to 95

I was mapped on v power so try to always run it on that. Few weeks ago,went to bournemouth for the day and put in 50 regular.could notice the difference,the car felt a little sluggish and had let pull top end.if yout standard use regular fuel,if mapped rhen v power

Another duplicate thread??? OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Performance_Artist.GIF

Reactions: lippyrich
Tesco 99 here. Get better MPG, more miles out of a tank, drives nicer and feels stronger. Plus its cheaper than V Poweeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Performance_Artist.GIF

I KNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW

Tesco 99 most of the time. To be honest I don't see the point in not running on it, for the sake of >£4 per tank price difference for a better drive. Plus, Tesco = Clubcard points which means when your S3 tries to drink you out of house and home you can still buy food with the millions of points you collect at the pumps!

Thats only the case if you happen to pass by a tesco.

For some people getting super unleaded is a long way out of their way.

On a standard car, there will be a difference, but it will run perfectly fine on regular.

On a mapped one, timing pull can start reaching dodgy levels if the map is designed for 98/99 and is pushing things to the limit.

Sorry guys.

Link on my comp / phone is straight to the 8L section in the forum, although i've been lurking for a bit, havn't seen a similar post.

If a mod want's to get rid.......

Cheers Chris

Performance_Artist.GIF

I love family guy, i can hear the voice now.
Oh, the problem with duplicates is that when a member searches it make finding the thread with the full info in harder, up to you guys, use the search, don't use it. :keule:

Only had car a week & use Sainsburys Super which is 97 & cheapest super around. Find it ok as use it in Porsche 968 as well.

Steve

Reactions: chris-edin
Car definately runs better on the Sainsburys 97, as mentioned its only 3p a litre more than normal stuff too, 13p a litre cheaper than the shell i'd have to go out my way to get too....

the key thing on cars with higher compression is that a higher ron helps protect from detonation

I just find it hard to believe a couple RON can make so much difference, definately notice it though.

Shame there isn't a Tesco with 99 closer.

I just find it hard to believe a couple RON can make so much difference, definately notice it though.

Shame there isn't a Tesco with 99 closer.

I think if you actually look at what RON is, you would find it easier to beleive that only "a couple of RON" can make a difference.

Its units are based on the ratio of the standard solution of isooctane and heptane used to determine it, so thinking a certain level of numerical difference would be required to have an effect is not really logical. As you say though, you can notice it.