1.8TQ suspension advice

Pontio

Reaction score
Hello there everybody. I have reached the stage were i am now going to get a lowered/stiffened suspension for my car. Should i go for fully adjustable or a fixed drop and damping? there are the obvious advantages but i'd only leave it in one setting for the rest of its life anyway.. I dont only want the drop for looks but for handling also.
I have 225/40/18 rubber on my car on ET 35 so how low can i go without problems?
I am considering uprating my rear anti roll bar too, any recommendations?
Sorry for the long and boring post, all help appreciated.
Thanks in advance

A well proven successful suspension set up is:

Bilstein or Koni shocks
Eibach or H&R springs

Neuspeed front and rear anti-roll bars or VW Golf 4Motion rear anti-roll bar

All depends how much you have to spend. If money is no object and you want a great setup, go for the Neuspeed front and rear ARBs, Bilstein shocks and EIbach or H&R springs. That setup along with some negative camber will have you wondering why you didn't do it sooner!

i know the front anti roll bar is a pain to do and im not all that bothered about it, i'd like to change the rear though.
Why different makes for shocks and different for springs? i was looking at a bilstein kit to be honest..

I have Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs.

Most people go for Bilstein's. Choice of spring is down to personal choice. Either way, you won't be disappointed!

I will try koni coilovers on my TQ (if they'll ever arrive...)

are they fully adjustable or just stiffness? how much of a drop have you had and on what size rubber?
Sorry for all the questions but all help is appreciated.

Could someone also explain breifly what coilover means?

Has anyone fitted a nylon bush kit (to tighten things up that last bit)?

Ta :)

How much are we talking for springs and dampers fitted? On a "money definitely is an object" basis....?

For bilstein shocks £450 ,h&r springs £130 plus fitting so not cheap ,but these are the ones that the s3 guys seem to recommend as having the best ride/handling ,as i said if you buy cheap you end up buying twice i speak from experience. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy