Replacing the power steering cooler pipe and oil?

danger S3

Reaction score
I'm going to be replacing the steering fluid cooler pipe that turns where the drain for the radiator is and runs across the front of the car then back again. its been rubbing on the drain for the radiator and i wanna replace it before it goes right through

does anyone know if i take the pipe off will all the fluid drain out?
also how much fluid does the system hold?
and how would you get the new fluid through the pipe and get all the air out?

Yes it will
Last one I did was on a mk 4 Golf and that took about 600-700ml. You get a 1 litre carton from Audi...
You fill it through the PAS reservoir and turn the steering from lock to lock a few times. Real easy job fella :)

well i replaced it and a bit of fluid came out when i removed the old one, then to get the rest out i started the engine and turned the wheel and it all came spewing out (possibly wasn't the best idea) the pump made some funny noises and i stopped and turned the engine off.

in removing it a bold sheered off so i spent 2 hours drilling that out :-(

with it drained i then went to attach the new pipe, the middle bracket was bent to a 90 degree angle in the middle where the bolt would go through so i got that in a vice and straightened it then found that with the bolt in where the loop is and the pipes attached the middle bolt hole was about 4" away from the bracket :-S bent it a bit to line it up but the end that connects to the pipe hangs down a bit and im worried it will catch big lumps of ice if its a bad winter and get ripped off

does anyone else's pipe hang down at the join?

i double checked and it is the same part number as the one that came off