Coolant Drain Tap Assembly.

mcglynn

Reaction score
I post on behalf of a friend on this forum, as i don't own the a3 but do most of the work, along with him so bear with me! lol

He had his tap apart at one stage and as fr as i know, out of it came a rubber seal and a plastic ring with a taper on the edge. I tried and pushed my hardest (with the mighty strength i have) and couldn't get it in with both these parts, but could get it in with just the plastic tapered part.

It's coming close to winter now, and the coolant system needs sorted cause i for one, dont fancy listening to the sad moans about a cracked cylinder or freezing water, or draining the water every day, and would much prefer the car on coolant aswell to prevent internal rust.

if anyone at all could shed some light on the subject it'd be much appreciated..

it's a 2001 1.9TDi if that makes any odds :)

EDIT: The cooling system also leaks so he is constantly keeeping an eye on it, the peace of mind would be great as we're planning a trip abroad in the car next year. Thanks!

Hi. If you are talking about the tapered ring and oring that seals between the tap housing and the radiator then a new oring should be used and the taper inserted with the largest diameter side facing the radiator. It is a tight fit but smearing some silicone grease on the fitting will help it along. As you say, running it on water alone will cause corrosion in the system which will eat the radiator and heater matrix from the inside out as well as shortening the life of your water pump seal as the coolant lubricates it. Comma do the proper G30 Comma :: Productsguide for a good price which is mixed 50:50 with distilled water.

Last edited: