A3 Centre Control Console and Radio Help.

Stuart Dobson

Reaction score
Hey Everyone
Firstly I'm new here so go easy on me, I'm an Audi newbie :)
I brought my first Audi today!
An Audi A3 1.8T Sport 2003
And I LOVE it! But I need some advice with the radio and centre unit and was hoping someone could at least point me in the right direction...

This is the set up I have...

img0311fb.jpg

Firstly I noticed that for some reason the radio backlight dims when i turn the ignition on and i cant see what it says on the screen, is this normal? have I just got it on a wrong setting or is this a problem?

Secondly whilst looking into this I was wondering if it where possible to shift it around about so i could get a double din audio system in like this one...

unled2zdl.jpg

I know it wont simply "swap" over, it might be a completely stupid and impossible idea but I was wondering if someone could either point me in the right direction or snap me out of it.

Was thinking about improving the climate control too as there's a fair bit of use on some of the buttons, either just replacing it with a better one or upgrading it if that's possible too.

like I said I've NO idea if this is even possible, i might just be living in a dream world but was hoping that someone could shed some light.

yes it's possible.

as you want a new air con unit anyway, you need one from a double Din car so it can be moved down, you'll lose the little cubby hole, but I'm sure you're not too bothered.

I reckon the best thing to do would be find a double DIN car in a breakers and take everything from that.

Ok i will i just need the double din cage from another audi, the air con unit and the audio system?
Ive noticed that some configurations place the radio at the top, and some below the hazard warning (Etc.) bar. Will either configuration work or will i have to go with the one that places the hazard warning bar at the top?

Also What climate control unit can i use? Would one like this be possible?
AUDI A3 2.0 FSI SPORT 2003 AIR CON CLIMATE CONTROL PANEL | eBayThanks

Great thanks, just what i wanted to hear :D
So basically what i will need is the double din cage, RNS-e and climate control unit from another car.
Obviously the climate control unit is going to be different, would it be a simple swap to change it to a different one and would all of the features work properly (providing i have the features in my car)?

Thanks

Basically I want it to look like this...

From what I can gather i need the RNS-e from an A4?

Will i simply need the same double din cage from the A4?

And what about the climate control unit, has this one been custom made? i cant find it in that shape?

100398retail4tf6.jpg

Thanks

Ok so ive been doing my research, from what i can tell so far i need the RNS-e from an Audi A3, and i should be able to custom reshape my climate control unit to fit.

what about the double din cage/frame? do i buy the A4 version and will that fit? or do i have to custom modify that as well?
I want the hazard button bar to stay where it is.

Thanks

Hello mate,

I have just done this upgrade (see my pics at the bottom of the thread linked in an earlier post). My car already had a double din stereo so i didnt have to change that but have done the rest now.

PM me your email addy and i will send you a PDF guide on how to do this retrofit including the double din conversion.

Oh and when you source the RNS-E adapter get it from Kufatec as they make one specific for your car.

This website was also useful : NSX JR's Audi Electronics

Last edited:
thanks, i tried to PM you but i cant as i havent made over 15 posts :/ ill leave it as a message on your profile

been looking into it quite a bit now, struggling to find the parts. I'm tempted to get Hazzy Dayz to do it (as they aren't very far from me) if i provide them with what parts i can find and get them to supply the rest and fit it, would save me having to buy the VAG-COM stuff too. Has anyone used them and what do they think of the service and prices?

Hazzy Dayz i have not used persoanlly but have been by a few on this forum I think AndyC-S3 is one of them as he had the RNS-E put in his 8L by them so you may want to chat to him as he has direct experience and knowledge of their work and prices.

If you look at the thread linked to in post number 2 by Dan-Jnr called RNS-E install you can see that Andy mentions Hazzy Dayz in that thread and that fitting cost him £195 + VAT he was really happy with the work and i think has had a few more bits fits by them too.

Last edited:
Yeh, well I was thinking as an option if i where to find the parts and then get them to fit it, that way i can get them to code it.

But then again, if i can get all the parts from what i can tell, thats the hardest bit. The other only thing stopping me is the coding . . . hmmm.

Thanks

Moving further into my quest and I landed at the RNS-e harness adapter

KUFATEC GmbH & Co. KG - Audi Adapter Navigationseinheit RNS-E 33405

Firstly i don't know if I have a bose system, how can I tell?
Also, what is a "small BNS navi" and how do I know if I have one?

Also looking at antenna adapter, is this what I want? with the diversity or without?

KUFATEC GmbH & Co. KG - Audi Antennenadapter Diversity Radio auf RNS-E 34403

On a similar topic with the wiring (to be honest I think I could answer most of this myself when I take a look a the wiring diagram on the Concert II radio) there is a couple of things that weren't mentioned in the guide I have been given but where mentioned on a more "all-round" guide.

What is the "reverse" wire for, and is it important?

and What is the "GALA" wire for, and is it important?

Basically their both two things that where mentioned in one guide and not the other, so if they are important I would have no problem wiring them up, but as they weren't in the guide more specific to my set up it debates as to whether they actually are.

Thanks again :)

Ok this is an update to my last post (kinda talking to myself here, hopefully someone will reply soon) :)

I've been doing some research to find out if i have a BOSE sound system, apparently the signs are to look for "BOSE" printed on the speakers and look for "BOSE" to appear on the radio when it is first turned on, I have neither of these and on top of this there is no wire coming out of the pin for "BOSE" on the back of the radio so I think its safe to assume I don't have it. And therefore can check that as a "no" when ordering the adapter.

As for the gala speed wire, I looks like It is quite important and I do need to direct it from B3 to pin 3 at the instrument cluster. Simple enough. Will it come with a gala speed wire in the harness that I can simply cut and re-direct to the instrument cluster? rather than having to install another pin?

Still not sure what the reverse wire is for, and what a small BNS navi is.

Ill keep posting, any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hello Mate,

this is what i bought from Kufatec KUFATEC GmbH & Co. KG - RNS-E Bundle RNS-E Adapter + Antennenadapter + Ausbauwerkzeug 34521

as thats both cables you need plus some stereo removal keys and all in one bundle which is cheaper than buying the 2 cables seperatly. Just state your options on the side eg what car you have etc and place your order. My cables took over 2 weeks to arrive as they had to come from germany as they hadnt got any instock. But worked a treat so worth the wait. If you dont have Bose (sounds like you dont) then select that in the options on kufatec and they will send you a non Bose adapter. The FM antenna adapter has 2 wires in it when it arrives so i removed the non FM connection (diversity) and my FM wire had a connector like that already so i just fitted that in its place.

As for the other wires you need :

The reverse wire isnt necessary so ignore that.

Gala wire is needed as it tells the RNS-E how fast the car is going so you need to run a cable from the back of the dash clocks to the RNS-E adapter.

You also need to run a Can High and Can Low wire from behind the dash clocks to the adapter (this is to get the directions to display on your DIS screen.

With the dash clocks out i also put the GPS antenna in that location as it was the best spot for getting a signal i could get it to.

I have the number of what the pins are on the dash board that you need to splice into so will post them up for you. And the RNS-E should tell you what pins you need to splice into on the adapter to make the connection. I just used chock block connectors to do the splicing.

Last edited:
So the wiring guide for you is as follows :

take the dash clocks out and on the back there are 3 connectors Blue, Grey and Green.

Remove the Blue connector and when you have it apart you should see its numbered 1-32 you need to splice into wire 31 (Green and White colour) and run that to Connector B pin 3 of the RNS-E adapter (this is the Gala connection)

Remove the Green connector it is also numbered 1-32 this time you need to splice into 2 wires Pin 5 (Can High) and Pin 6 (Can Low) and run these to the RNS-E adapter Connector D Pin 9 (Can High) and Pin 10 (Can Low)

ahh thanks that's handy, I must have missed that bundle :)

I've been doing my research, everything matches up to your description except for the CAN H&L. From both guides I got the impression that it was the grey connector and not the green? And I can use a wire tap on all of these rather than having to buy the proper pins?

Thanks you've been a great help :)