Haldex oil and rear diff oil help ?

Daniel Thomson

Reaction score
Hi people,
Well i have changed my front gearbox oil in the s3 and what a change it made feels much better, Well tomoro im going to do the haldex oil change and the filter, The guy on the phone at audi said there no oil in the rear diff he said its used by the haldex oil ?

Im confused because i though there different oil in the rear diff.

Can someone help, im new to this ..

i know the haldex oil is drained by the drain plug and then refeild by the drain plug.

cheers

I know there rong anyone can help me with my question as i need to get it done tomoro

kind regards

Rear diff and haldex are seperate bits... rear diff uses the same gearbox oil the front does (75w90 semi or fully synth)... the haldex uses a special hydraulic oil... its drained and filled from the little drain on the bottom of the haldex clutch... you have to warm the oil by driving the car for a few minutes so it comes out properly... the filter is tucked up on the side of the haldex unit requiring a special spanner to loosen and tighten

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Daniel Thomson
Cheers just didnt want to put the oil in the rong place..
anyone has any pics off the rear diff drain and refill plugs ?

thanks

Rear diff drain plug is bottom right looking from the rear of the car looking to the front... fill plug is pointing towards the front of the car 90 degrees up from the drain... use penatrating fluid and undo the fill plug before trying the drain... nothing worse than draining all the oil only to find you can't undo the fill plug

You can see the drain and fill plugs in this pic...
20091115_IMG_3896.jpg

both are opposite where the exhaust runs... haldex drain/fill is the small one on the silver bit between the propshaft coupling and the black beam of the rear subframe where the ties bars attach

<tuffty/>

So this oil? AG 052 145 A1 - Diff Oil - 3 x 0.5ltr bottles £8.75 excl VAT each

Is the right stuff for the diff?