Plastidip & The Chrome Grill Surround

Hadders

Reaction score
Afternoon chaps,

Figured I'd introduce you guys to my latest handiwork :)

Welcome to Plastidip! The "Multi-Purpose Rubber Coating".

1.jpg

I've bought some of this stuff as it was recommended by some guys on another forum to paint the plastics on your car. Specifically for me, this is useful as my side skirt blades are looking worse for wear and I wanted a cheap way to spruce them up! Cue, the test. The front grill surround. I've seen a few people do this with different methods but figured I'd show you my method :)

Feel free to check out plastidip's website http://www.plastidip.co.uk for all the info you need, but a brief introduction could be summarised as a spray paint which produces a rubberised paint layer on the intended surface. This makes it quite strong and less susceptible to stone chips etc. It's also relatively easily removed if you want :)

Onwards!

Before

2.jpg

3.jpg

First I prised the grill surround off. I did this by using a miniature flathead screwdriver from the bottom middle of the grill surround and gently prying it off from the rest of the grill.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Then I prepared my spray paint facilities. The back garden. I was missing the traditional newspaper so used what I had available to me, a collection of plastic bags :)

6.jpg

Next step is to prepare the surface for painting. Plastidip is resilient stuff and the surface doesn't need much preparation. All I used was a damp cloth to remove the bulk of the dirt and then used some Mr Sheen to polish the surface clean [EDIT - Mr Sheen is a bad move it turns out. Best off using contact cleaner if you plan on doing the same]. That's it basically. No need for sanding or anything like that :)

7.jpg

8.jpg

Now spray! Use it like normal spray paint basically. Sweep across the surface in a continuous motion. I just went clockwise. First from one side of the table and then the other to ensure I painted all sides of the grill surround.

9.jpg

When you first spray it on, it has a very texturised appearance, but smooths as it dries.

10.jpg

Each coat needs a minimum of 30 minutes to dry. I used 4 coats, though 3 would normally suffice. I had a problem with the first layer as a fly landed on the grill and I had to peel it off leaving a fly shaped piece of chrome. After all the coats were applied this disappeared. :)

11.jpg

Allow 4 hours for it to dry completely. Now clip it back on. Voila!

12.jpg

13.jpg

I will be having a crack at the side blades tomorrow providing I can work out how to remove them!

I'm very happy with the results on the grill surround. I can recommend the stuff :)

Last edited:
Look's good, I have seen on other forum's that people have also used Plastidip on the soft touch interior parts

Good work looks good.

To remove door blades you have to remove 4 screws on the inside of the door edge and then the door blade slides forwards as its fitted to lugs on the door.

the bit on the back of the car i have not removed so dont know how they come off

Good work however.... Mr Sheen etc is not really the best way to prep a surface for paint as it will leave oils/silicon films on the surfaces which are not the best key....

Best prep is a scotch pad to rough it all up and get a good key then brake cleaner or contact cleaner to remove grease etc from the surface...

While Plastidip may be more resilient to surface contaminants its never a good idea to paint over a greasy surface and Mr Sheen will kinda do that as its to make things shiny more than a dergreaser

<tuffty/>

Good work however.... Mr Sheen etc is not really the best way to prep a surface for paint as it will leave oils/silicon films on the surfaces which are not the best key....

Best prep is a scotch pad to rough it all up and get a good key then brake cleaner or contact cleaner to remove grease etc from the surface...

While Plastidip may be more resilient to surface contaminants its never a good idea to paint over a greasy surface and Mr Sheen will kinda do that as its to make things shiny more than a dergreaser

<tuffty/>

Consider myself told! Well, it seems to be fine for now, but I'll bear that in mind for future. I didn't particularly want to rough up the chrome surface of the grill surround in case I want to go back to chrome at some point, but I'll be using a scotch pad on the side blades. I'll see if I can find some contact cleaner in that case. Cheers.

Looks great but yeah... bad shout with the furniture polish though... I bet it smelt nice though!

im with you on that one, i like the chrome rings but not the surround, might have to get it done myself!

Is yours Dolphin or Mineral Grey, Hadders? Hard to tell in pictures sometimes.

Satin black painted grill surround on mine - a few stone chips (again!) so might try this or vinyl wrap instead of paint next time.