Is this the 'Oil Temp' warning light? Also, need help with other stuff!

lloydsta101

Reaction score
Hi all,

Can anyone shed some light please? I've been getting what I'm assuming is the Oil Temp light on the dash recently. It's coming on nearly every morning now... about 10 seconds after the car has been started (cold start). It beeps and flashes, then goes off after about 2 minutes.

58d07.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have various similar problems that all seem to be related. My MPG is terrible considering the way I drive the car, I never see over 19 MPG despite my desperate attempts at economical driving over the last year. I have to put a litre of oil in every other month... I've checked and there is no apparent oil leak. I had the Coolant Temp Sensor changed last week and there has been no change.

Also, I've mentioned this before but the engine fan has a mind of its own... it spools up whenever it feels like it (can be as soon as the car has been started or 2 hours later), but it doesn't stay on. It will go on an off every 3-4 seconds until I turn the ignition off the other end.

Any information/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Its not oil temp!!

Check your header tank, you either need to put some water in it or sensor in the header tank has failed. Easy to sort if it has as you change the whole pot for about £15.

Ha ha, duh! I've never seen that warning light before so was unsure. I'll take a look and see if it needs any, hopefully it will be as simple as topping it up.

Any ideas about the other issues? Would be nice to get the fan fixed; it's getting very annoying now.

Cheers for the replies!

Yup, I don't drive very far during the week (I work about 2.5 miles from my house) but it always manages to get up to 90 and stays there.

Does the warning light only come on when you start the car from cold?