Budget Tyres

cecilthesausage

...It's Never Finished...
Reaction score
After I found a crack in 1 of my rims....
4d7d3125.jpg
Upon inspection of the tyre found these cracks in tyrewall.....
ac811863.jpg
3327330b.jpg
So I've had to treat myself to a new set of dancing shoes....
52e5034e.jpg
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta... Which have come highly recommended from a friend of mine who does track days been the ring and runs a 300 break Cupra.... Just wasn't expecting to spend £460 pound today

No just got the rim welded.... Done it on a pothole I would only noticed when I thought I had a puncture and went to get it fixed....

Seen that so many times on cheap tyres, one reason why I've also fitted Sessanta's today!
For anyone interested in getting these, I got mine from Elite in Essex. They were £101 each delivered on Ebay but I rang up and spoke to Dan and got a pair delivered next day for £194.40. Bargain.
Now to wear them in a bit to give them a real test!

I work in the alloy wheel / tyre business and you'll find that budget tyres are cheap for a reason. Sessanta are a good tyre and are under-rated, you should have no problem with them on your S3, have a mate running them on his RS4 (450bhp) and he has no complaints.

As for welding rims it's generally not a great idea, as the heat from the welding process alters the structure of the alloy and weakens it, a knock in the same place and it will just go again I'm afraid. I'd only uses a welded rim as a spare and have it on the car in the case of an emergency.

I ran those sessanta on my old vectra vxr.

Not bad tyres.

Not all budgets are that bad,but normaly the japanise one's do end up cracking like that!,probably tyre was half flat when you hit the pothole due to the tyre cracking!(which then bent the wheel on the pothole),best to check pressures as often as posible,also if the pothole is still there send those pics and a pic of the pothole to your local council,get your money back!

Councils need to pull there fingers out, the state of the roads these days are gash!

Reactions: liquids3
Budget tyres on an S3, tut tut! The alloys are reps too aren't they?
Buy cheap, buy twice!
Sorry for sounding patronising.

I had reps on my old A4 and one of those rims cracked on a pothole too, all four are going to the scrapyard soon. Tyres were fine though (Falken 452s)!

Personally i'd never buy any tyres that weren't highly recommended, price irrelevant. 452s aren't dear but are very good but not as good as Sessantas, so I hear! I think you'll be very happy with them when they wear-in a bit.

The only exception to my no-budget tyres rule being i'm thinking of getting some budget snow tyres for the winter, which is probably going to be pretty brutal up here! I'd imagine despite being cheap they're going to be better than a summer tyre on the white stuff.

I still swear by my Uniroyal RainSport 2s for the rest of the year (at £93 each for 18s @ Camskill)!

Ouch.

Thats what you get with 'ditch finders!'

Budget tyres on an S3, tut tut! The alloys are reps too aren't they?
Buy cheap, buy twice!
Sorry for sounding patronising.

I had reps on my old A4 and one of those rims cracked on a pothole too, all four are going to the scrapyard soon. Tyres were fine though (Falken 452s)!

Personally i'd never buy any tyres that weren't highly recommended, price irrelevant. 452s aren't dear but are very good but not as good as Sessantas, so I hear! I think you'll be very happy with them when they wear-in a bit.

The only exception to my no-budget tyres rule being i'm thinking of getting some budget snow tyres for the winter, which is probably going to be pretty brutal up here! I'd imagine despite being cheap they're going to be better than a summer tyre on the white stuff.

I still swear by my Uniroyal RainSport 2s for the rest of the year (at £93 each for 18s @ Camskill)!

No arguments from me on the budget tyre argument...
I will recommend Kumho Izen winter treads tho, had them for 3 years now & cant beat them & I'm farther north than you!
I'm curious about the poly bushes & spacers. Do they make much difference to the handling?