Has anyone used or know much about obx inlet manifold?

StaceyS3

Reaction score
Am looking at putting an inlet manifold on my car before i get it mapped in a couple of weeks as now have a largeport head, and was looking at making a homebrew with rmr extrusion and an agu inlet mani but stumbled upon this, it looks like a dead ringer (design wise) of the rmr mani

IMG_1924.jpg

Parts & Accessories : 1.8T High Power Manifold

That is a second hand one as such but are available on ebay from the states for £250 plus postage and import duties etc

I would love to get a sem mani but really can't justify the cost

Your opinions as usual guys views and opinions would be much appriciated

Cheers

Looked into this myself mate, general thoughts were not to bother, the manifold in question has been on is it vortex or whatever, that big american vw forum. They said not to bother, slated build quality etc.

Their are a few members on here who has it but they arnt active members, ive emailed them but had no response.

Did think that but was just thinking along the lines of having runners to match my port size although have already got a transition phenolic gasket/spacer to go from my bam small port mani to aeb largeport head?

And gotta admit not entirely sure this will be the final turbo fitted to the car as now have got supporting mods to take more?

Keep eyeing up GT30's got outbid on a second hand custom tubular manifold and downpipe to a v banded GT30 that would have definately made up my mind if i won that:whistle2:

Can't see it being too far away from the RMR flow wise if its a copy but the quality issues could be subjective... its alloy so fixable if need be with someone who tig weld...

Gotta be said though that the the RMR manifold doesn't flow as well as the SEM but like you say bang for buck is key here...

For £250 + the usual its not a bad shout... I would have a read up on what the build quality issues were first though before committing...

I agree though, the SEM seems alot of money... should have some comparative figures in November though as Bill has a TT booked in for one to be fitted to a stage 2 esq K04 which is in the 270bhp region currently...

<tuffty/>

I was going to say just get a phenolic gasket to match the ports, that's what Bill tends to do.

If you bought the bigger turbo I might have been making an offer for your K26 ;)

The stupid thing is in hindsight could have gone gt30 for just a little more cost as had to replace the mani after it cracked and just payed 520 for custom decat and down pipe today as the new mani was different and the turbo cost me over 700 to recon as most places couldn't get bits for it (aparently its a rare turbo K26/24 hybrid? so ive been told) so am a bit ****** didn't go that route to start with

But if i ever do you will get first refusal :friends:

Can't see it being too far away from the RMR flow wise if its a copy but the quality issues could be subjective... its alloy so fixable if need be with someone who tig weld...

Gotta be said though that the the RMR manifold doesn't flow as well as the SEM but like you say bang for buck is key here...

For £250 + the usual its not a bad shout... I would have a read up on what the build quality issues were first though before committing...

I agree though, the SEM seems alot of money... should have some comparative figures in November though as Bill has a TT booked in for one to be fitted to a stage 2 esq K04 which is in the 270bhp region currently...

<tuffty/>

Will definately have to watch that space with regards to gains on lower power applications :)

But like you said it is all about bang for buck and have now started flicking through a vortex thread most of them seem to slate it although they openly admit 95% of them doing so have had no experiance with it and not physically seen it??

Last edited:
Will definately have to watch that space with regards to gains on lower power applications :)

But like you said it is all about bang for buck and have now started flicking through a vortex thread most of them seem to slate it although they openly admit 95% of them doing so have had no experiance with it and not physically seen it??

Typical.... its cheap therefore its crap.... worst that could happen would be little leaks in welding (easily fixed) and the mating faces not being flat (not so easy to fix)... it should flow more than std and be as close as it can be to the flow potential of the RMR if its a copy...

<tuffty/>

That was my thoughts exactly and also seems that because it is made in china it must be ****e! When considering probably nearly half of the worlds electronics etc are manufactured there?

Rectifying any issues shouldn't be problems as got close friends and family who tig and could deck it, could do it myself but not got access to the gear :-(

Think i may give it a go? :)

What r32 throttle body are you running Mk4?

i`ve had experience with using OBX products. I had an OBX exhaust manifold from America on my Yaris Tsport as no one over here made one. Was pretty good quality. All the welds were nice, fitted great and never caused any issues in my hands or the tens of other people on the forum that had ordered the same one. They are known for cheaper alternative parts but the quality has never been shocking. Its exactly the same boat as XSPower..mention them and people run a mile but look at the good service and the quality of the new parts Welly has helped them develope.

i`ve had experience with using OBX products. I had an OBX exhaust manifold from America on my Yaris Tsport as no one over here made one. Was pretty good quality. All the welds were nice, fitted great and never caused any issues in my hands or the tens of other people on the forum that had ordered the same one. They are known for cheaper alternative parts but the quality has never been shocking. Its exactly the same boat as XSPower..mention them and people run a mile but look at the good service and the quality of the new parts Welly has helped them develope.

I am a believer of you get what you pay for quality wise but on the other hand belongs it does the job that is all that matters and as tuffty said cant imagine the flow would be that much different of a rmr as seems pretty much an exact copy

Also it is an item that is not under a great deal of stress and doesn't go through massive heat cycles so think it would be worth a shot :)

That was my thoughts exactly and also seems that because it is made in china it must be ****e! When considering probably nearly half of the worlds electronics etc are manufactured there?

Rectifying any issues shouldn't be problems as got close friends and family who tig and could deck it, could do it myself but not got access to the gear :-(

Think i may give it a go? :)

What r32 throttle body are you running Mk4?

Think mine is off a later R32 but they are all pretty much the same

<tuffty/>

Im using rmr manifold and mk5 r32 tb. The manifold in your pics look exactly the same, from the outside. Looks a bit ruff on the inside though.