Bonding S3 door fins to doors?

The Doctor

Reaction score
Website
www.wbmcc.com
Hi guys,

My passenger side door fin is coming away from the door. Usual thing, the white nylon strip inside is coming away from the moulding itself.

I've bought a replacement door fin (used) which isn't coming away from the nylon strip but the brass screw fixings are damaged which means I can't simply re-attach it to the door with the fixing screws. So, I was just thinking that instead of screwing it to the door, a better method may be to bond it on and seal around the edges to stop any water ingress causing the same problem again in the future.

What do you reckon? So long as it's well bonded this should be a permanent fix, right? Just so long as I get it on straight of course...

And what to bond it on with? Have had a search of the forum and online and was thinking about "Sikaflex" (http://www.bluemoment.com/downloads/sikaflexmarinehandbook.pdf). This stuff is used to bond marine fixings to boats (rub rails, keels etc) so should be well up to the job of holding a bit of expensive German plastic to a car door.

Do what i did, fibreglass it. The white strip has corroded on the drivers fin, fibreglassed what was left, let it set, pre drilled a hole for the screw then screwed all back up, been solid as a rock for last 12 months :).

Hmm, could do. I just think that whatever you do with a screw fixing it basically has a hole through it which over time will let water in. Whereas bonding it should create a continuous seal to prevent water ingress. Plus it's easy to do with a trigger gun.

Your call mate but if you ever need to remove your abit screwed. See what i did there! Haha :).

True. Can't think why I'd ever need to though. I don't think bonding it on would put me in any sticky situations like that. :jester: