S3 Brake Upgrades - not Porsche/Brembo

AL_B

Reaction score
OK, lets start this topic rolling.

The brakes on my S3 have been crap since new. It took 2000+ miles before they felt like they were bedded in, and fade was reduced to [fade after] 5-6 roundabouts rather than [fade after] 3-4 roundabouts. Now I wish I'd got them checked out around that time, because a recent visit to an Audi Dealer (Links, Macclesfield) resulted in them saying "Yes the brakes do feel spongy" but they can't do anything with disks and pads now under warranty, because I've covered 7500+ miles. Their recommendation is to go with aftermarket disks, pads and fluid change.

I know couple of people on here who are running after-market disks and pads...

Domus - is running EBC grooved&dimpled disks with EBC green pads
Howie - is running Dubsport drilled disks all round, with Pagid fast road pads

Both Peter and Howie say the brakes are a big improvement over stock, has anyone tried any other disks and pad combinations?

I've sent e-mails to Tarox, AP Racing and Alcon regarding disks for the S3. Still waiting for them to reply.

Cheers

AL

Eye up, Al.

I'm using Forge Motorsport front grooved discs (I refuse to use drilled discs as I have a habbit of cracking them badly between the holes!) and I'm using EBC Greenstuff pads all round...much better than standard.

As far as I know the Forge discs are just grooved standard Audi discs, so the quality is good...I know mine are and I doubt they have changed their disc supplier recently.

Oh, and I binned the splash guards fron behind the discs with the car only a week old...to let a bit more air in there!
I have to inspect them a bit more frequently to make sure there is no crud jammed in there, but it's no big deal.

With the grooved discs / EBC pads there is better bite...especially in the wet, more linear braking and less fade...although they can be a bit noisier than standard - just turn the stereo up a bit and it goes away!

EBC Greenstuff with Grooved Discs at the front.

Feels loads better - when you brake you actually feel some substance behind your foot. Feels a lot better in the water, never experienced much fade so can't help there.

Thanks for the responses so far. Keep'em coming.

Jo,

What make are your front disks, the EBC grooved ones?

Es Three,

Or'reet lad. When you say noisier, do you mean same sound as normal disks but louder, or do you mean loud grinding - like when the disks are cold in a morning? Or do you mean squeal? Does the noise turn heads in the street [not what I want really]?

I've had a response back from AP-Racing, they don't do replacement OE size disks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif But he recommended Ferodo DS2500 pads with the standard disk and that they won't damage the standard disk. He also suggested trying EBC Greenstuff, but based on Domus's experience of them warping the standard disk, I'm not going to use EBC Greenstuff, unless with an uprated disk.

Cheers

AL

Yep EBC Grooved.

They are louder - just a kind of whining sound as they really bite. Nobody looks at you, but you hear it. Kind of satisfying in a way !!!

SitaS3 has the front EBC brakes and pads fitted on his car. We did some tests (on different days, but same road), with high speed braking against my standard brakes and whereas my brakes faded badly, his didnt. Must admit though I dont see a problem with the S3 brakes, except for:

a) on the track they would be rubbish (fade)
b) I would prefer them to bite a bit more agressively

I cant get them to fade on the road unless I really try to do it on purpose...

PS The reason I keep answering for SitaS3 is because he is on holiday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers Jo.

Dunc, wondered why Simon wasn't on here. You are doing a good job of answering for him though, you tend to give a bit more info than he does, plus your english is better. What with him coming from up North and that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif [hope he reads this] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AL

On my previous A4 I put std. disc on with new fluid and Pagid Fast Road Pads. Braking was much improved and I only got very slight fade on the Scottish Audi run (Organised by David R) last year. They did squeal a bit though at times and generated a lot of dust.

Al,

My brakes were changed over the Xmas period to EBC greenstuff pads on the fronts... Didnt change the discs as it would have taken a few more days to get those through from where they were being sourced and as I needed to change the pads fast, I couldnt really be bothered.

Now even though it was just a kinda straight swap from Audi Standard to EBC pads, after bedding them in .. (Driving like a snail for days.. and feather stamping the brake pedal ... what torture!!), I have now seen the light!! Dont think I'll ever use Audi pads again!

First thing I noticed is the bite.. Its way way more responsive than Audi OEM pads. After very hard use, I haven't come across it fading yet! Brake dust is virtually eliminated (this used to **** the hell out of me.. drive 50m clean the alloys!)

Downside though is.. when braking hard, it can be a bit noisy and my brakes now squeal a bit..

There you go! All in all, worth the £46 I paid for the pads.. and that included delivery.... Im happy.

[ QUOTE ]

Es Three,

Or'reet lad. When you say noisier, do you mean same sound as normal disks but louder, or do you mean loud grinding - like when the disks are cold in a morning? Or do you mean squeal? Does the noise turn heads in the street [not what I want really]?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not any squealing when cold...there is none of that...and hardly any more noise around town...perhaps a slightly more noisy sound...common with all aggressive pads, more of a 'friction' type of sound (can you hear friction?...perhaps not!)

But there is a louder noise when you give it large on the middle pedal from high speed...if you are hard on brakes - like me - then you'll know the sound.
I'll try and explain...you know the sound a planes brakes make when the pilot hammers the brakes after landing...that sort of deep rumbling sort of sound? Well, with grooved discs you will get a similar sound if you hit the brakes hard at speed. Not annoying...you get used to it...but to those who have standard discs it can cound a bit 'strange'.

I've never had that sound on plain discs before..maybe I kill the pads before they can make that sort of sound!

Anyone had any experience of the Black Diamond cross drilled discs?

What Pagid pads are you all using - fast road?

Any comments about any other good pads?

Howie, have you noticed any cracking on the holes and are the brakes any noisier?

I have EBC pads and they have warped my OEM discs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif . I have also seen EBC cross drilled brakes crack too so im sticking to slotted rotors. Im gettng DBA (disc brakes australia) slotted rotors as i was going to get the EBC ones but are too pricey. The pair of DBA rotors cost 150 Euros which is bargain and are really good

check em out www.dba.com.au /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

XXX 1.8T - you following me around mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Got EBC Greenstuff pads on my 1.8T Sport and they do make a remarkable difference once bedded in (which does take a while), considering its a just a simple change of pads. I've noticed a couple of you saying they wear out the stock discs, but then it depends how worn they are to start with.

I've had Greenstuffs on about 3 cars now, I don't think they are up to hard track duty but OK for fast road use.
I've had EBC Turbogroove and Tarox G88 40 groove discs in the past and personally prefer the Tarox discs, they make less of that "groove whirring" noise than the EBCs and seem more effective.

Used the Tarox G88s with greenstuff pads which was a good combination, they bite really well.

Paul,

That's great! I was thinking of going for Tarox disks, either Sport Japans or C83's (or is that G83?).

Just need to ring them and get some prices. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AL

Don't go for Sport Japans, they look nice and are well priced but are only machine finished, not hand finished so not to the same standard and balance as G88s.
Plus I heard someone slagging the Sport Japans saying they cracked easily - but no experience of them personally.
I'd go for the G88s.

no cracks around the holes and they dont make that much noise either only noise is a little extra wizzing sound when im soft breaking but it sounds good so i dont mind. the only trouble with the dubsport disks is that they are not an off the shelf item for the s3, so you would have to wait a while for them to be made.

Thanks howie. Due to the wait I had thought of buying the black diamond discs. Where did you get the pagids from (fast road?)and what reference number are they. Is the feel as standard from cold. Are the grooved brakes worth having.....is there that much difference?

I think Pagid make grooved discs as well, probably very good if used with their Fast Road pads.

Wouldn't go for Black Diamond though, thought they were cheap nasty cack used by Nova boys.

Glen,

Noticed your post on another board in a similar topic to this. You mentioned that the Forge disks are OEM Audi ones, with grooves cut in by Forge. And that you use EBC greenstuff on them, and they haven't warped yet.

Why is that? If Peter Haslams OEM disks were warped by use of the EBC greenstuffs, how come your disks haven't? Is it the grooves?

Cheers

AL

Cheers Glen. Very helpful. I think I've almost decided then. Forge Discs and EBC Green Pads.

Now to contact my insurance company to see what the hit will be if I go ahead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

AL

So Al - did you call the insurance company? Have to admit it wouldn't have occured to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif what is the hit ??