Lees Build Thread

Lee172

GT3071
Reaction score
As some of you are aware i had an oil starvation problem which resulted in a knocking/diesel noise coming from my engine. I changed a number of things including a new oil pump and oil pickup which did not solve the problem. I then found myself buying IE rods/calico bearings and a AEB head (which i had rebuilt) to try and resolve the problem. While buying them parts i came across a GT2871r turbo, manifold, downpipe and genesis 550cc injectors pretty cheap, so it then turned into the perfect opportunity to do some tuning. (at least thats what he misses thinks)

Now, i have decided to go for a GT30 turbo, backdraft equal length manifold and a custom downpipe made by Bill at Badger 5. This led to a DA-31 fuel pump, 630cc injectors, RMR intake manifold, r32 throttle body, WMI and a new sachs paddle clutch.

I will be updating the progress made in this thread on he above engine build and also other bits and bobs such as the brakes and coil overs etc etc...

All this with no pics or figures?!

6 out of 10, must try harder! :readit:

the turbo.. (well its some pictures - lol)

gt3071-1.jpg

gt3071-2.jpg

gt3071-3.jpg

gt3071-4.jpg

more pictures later when I upload them........ downpipe made etc, FMIC in progress etc etc

Liking the turbo Bill. I have some pics on my computer at home, ill try and upload them tomorrow.

Shame theres no point putting that on my fwd A3.....:drool:
Me likey

Oooo love this thread already.planning on doing this turbo upgrade in the near future.fwd of course lol

Great, cant wait to see how it goes. Is that turbo T25 framed?

Sweet, people have good results from that setup so best of luck to you mate. The car at bills now i presume...? He mapping it aswell?

Have you started the work yet?

;)

Thanks mate, i built the engine back up minus the downpipe. Now its at Bills we have decided to change a few things, main ones being the gt30/FMIC/downpipe. Bill will be mapping it yes. Hows your build going?

Ive done a few little jobs which need to be added to the thread, and its basically waiting for an MOT which cant happen until next month due to other commitments. But its pretty much there though!

Its essentially the same turbo as I used to have before I changed it all around again... GT30 compact... be interesting to see how this all performs with the different manifolds etc...

Be a yard stick to get mine finished... one day... maybe... :D

<tuffty/>

Are you using a different turbo now tuffty? Thought you was still using the same as me. Any particular reason why you changed?

Are you using a different turbo now tuffty? Thought you was still using the same as me. Any particular reason why you changed?

I was then when I did the change to large port I found that the housing had crack most likely from when I was running really high EGT's on the std exhaust...

As I had to pay for most of a new turbo anyway I just went for a bigger turbine... Its still T25 and I am not changing that but plan to go external gate so will change the housing again no doubt...

The slippery slope started a long time ago for me :)

<tuffty/>

One of my rear shocks is bent so i was looking at coilovers today, whats everyones opinions on ak coilovers? Also does anyone have the part numbers for the cupra r top mounts?

This is how the engine bay looked before the oil problems i had.

DSC_0380.jpg

All the parts that were in my bedroom (i pretty much had the same amount in the garage too!)

stuff.jpg

AEB large port head which i had rebuilt..

aebheadface-1.jpg

The inlet mani and exhaust mani on AEB head in my bedroom.

aebintakeandexhaust.jpg

New oil pump/pickup and IE Rods..

oilpump.jpg

Top view..

rodsin.jpg

build.jpg

The turbo has now been changed for the one in Bills pictures at the top of this page but the rest is pretty similar now.

The LCR brembos i have to put on once i get my car back...

brembos.jpg

Last edited:
FMIC is on... should be working on the charge pipes tomorrow so will remind Bill to take pics and post up...

<tuffty/>

Thanks tuffty, im eger to see the fmic seen as it is slightly different to the 'norm'

Oooo those brembo's looks sweet.. Im DYING to buy some but trying to resist! Looks good Lee and your bay looks soo clean! lav it!

Ok...

First of all here are the pic of the new turbo in place but not bolted in as yet as there is a bit more work to do..
IMG_20111023_170850.jpg

FMIC with modded end tanks...
IMG_20111023_131402.jpg

IMG_20111023_131457.jpg

Fitted to car (stealthed of course with satin black paint) and the drivers side pipe work...
IMG_20111023_144736.jpg

...passenger side pipe awaiting WMI nozzle boss to be welded then painted black too..
IMG_20111023_144710.jpg

...pic showing the route of the endtanks...
IMG_20111023_144744.jpg

...I know what your are thinking... how well does that fit behind the bumper.... answer is that the pipes do catch however I modded the lower surround and fog grilles...
IMG_20111023_162007.jpg

...and the bumper fits as well as any Forge/AH FMIC I have fitted in the past...
IMG_20111023_162058.jpg

Charge pipe work is ready for Bill to weld in the week..
IMG_20111023_164202.jpg

..and last but not least is the downpipe that was down a little while ago..
IMG_20111023_165705.jpg

Productive day.... still a bit to do of course but its coming together...

<tuffty/>

Great update, thought youd be welding by now tufty...!

Thanks Tuffty/Bill, really appreciate the work you guys are putting in. Now i can't wait to drive it!

Great update, thought youd be welding by now tufty...!

One of the only things I have never really done tbh... maybe one day I'll have a go but Bill quite enjoys doing it so I leave it to him :)

One day he will,lol Till then there is the magic of welding tape....LMAO

Good for 2bar boost pressure that tape!! (not!)

Thanks Tuffty/Bill, really appreciate the work you guys are putting in. Now i can't wait to drive it!

Welcome...

<tuffty/>

Good stuff! Is there any reason for having the outlets at the top? Is the cooler too wide to have them placed at the bottom and modded to resemble the AH, or basically like mine?

I like how your bays coming on, cant wait to get my RMR sorted.

The outlets are at the top to save the fog lights from being removed. I believe the fmic is the same or similar to the one welly is using.

Its inventive to say the least. Nice to see fmic fitments, to think just over a year ago no-one really knew if getting a decent fmic in behind the S3 bumper was possible.

These guys do some great work! It's good to know that you can take your car to be modded by people who know what they're doing and to ppl whom you can trust!

Yes i agree, i pretty much waited 4 months for a space to get my car into Badger 5. It came off the road in april/may.

Plus Bill is a 2 and a half hour drive away from me. (Which means i have a decent amount of time to have some fun on the way home)

Last edited:
A little update..

Took the 2 and a half hour drive down to Bills last weekend, met a few people off here which was good. As far as i am aware the car is back together now, needs a few wiring issues sorted and a couple of other little bits and bobs. Had to buy some new engine mounts as there isn't a lot of space between the turbo and bulkhead, if any. Not sure on which ones were ordered, I'm sure Tuffty or Bill will say.

Had a trip to southampton today to get this..

0e251444.jpg

Picked it up off an ASN member through the Classifieds section.

As far as i am aware they don't make double din facia plates for the a3/s3's so I'm left with two choices (that i know of). Either, make my own or buy an a4 facia plate and mod it. This will all be later on in the thread though as there is a long way to go before i put this in.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the adaptor for the Bose system to work, can anyone point me in the right direction??

Been getting the car ready to attempt a start tomorrow sometime... fuel pump is fitted and wired in, charge pipe work welded and fitted... lower part of the DP needs wrapping and then fitting so the rest of the exhaust can be fitted up then the engine needs fluids...

<tuffty/>

An update..Its up and running! Coilovers arrived the other day, originally i planned on fitting these after i got the car back but Bill is now going to fit them in order to get it through the mot.The car at the moment is in the process of mapping. Currently running around 335-340 bhp at 18 psi, which im happy with. Still got a little way to go but the is some light at the end of the tunnel. I believe there still needs the wmi factored into the mapping as well as some fresh v power which isnt 6 + months old.

Woop woop!

Good news mate, bet that feels good! I really need to factor in some wmi to my life....

its getting there... back on it tomoz with some fresh vpower and some more boost and timing..
slowly slowly... its easing up..

GT30's on small frame T25's aint my fave... They run hot, which in my experience is stud backing out territory on BDM manifolds and M8 fixings. Keeping a close eye on egt's, now measure post turbine on new setup.

AIT wise its frigging awesome! 27'c start temp, rises to 30'c mid run and cools down again to 27'c at end... lol... impressive and best in class from what I have seen.. without wmi goodness yet too. toyo cooler with some B5 mods working uber well. We will see how it copes when I am up more on boost but its fairing very well.

More soon :)

Last edited: