Cant secure spare wheel

DenCar

Reaction score
Just got hold of a 18" Alloy to replace my original 16" spare but find that i cant screw it down to secure it, the bolt now isnt long enough. The original 16" is ET 42 and the new 18" is ET 35 and the bolt just wont reach the little hole at the bottom of the wheel-well.
Anybody else gone onto 18s and had this problem. Any suggestions appreciated.

DC

Any reason why you would want an 18" spare? 16" is lighter, you are just adding extra weight for no reason other than bling, which is covered up I presume? :uhm:

All i can think to do is get some threaded bar screwed into the hole with a couple nuts at the top leaving just enough thread to screw in the bolt.

All i can think to do is get some threaded bar screwed into the hole with a couple nuts at the top leaving just enough thread to screw in the bolt.

Thanks Smokey, i did think of something like that so maybe thats the way to go.

I appreciate what you are saying JoJo but, I just wanted an 18" as a spare as well.

DC

You can (carefully) take the bolt out and replace it with a longer bolt ( I had to do the same with my BBs RC's that are 18"). It's easier to take apart than to put back together (Could do with an extra pair of hands) but not impossible.

I wish that I had taken pics now but if you have a close look at the original holder, you will see where it clips together, taking it apart is simple enough. I ended up using a bolt that was too long and this left the spare wheel loose (bolt had 'bottomed out') although its secure so I cut the bolt down and now it works fine.

HTH,

Thanks Imteyaz, ill look into that.

Thanks Tuffty, but iv already bought the 18" spare. Did think about a space saver but decided not.

DC