Rear Brakes on 1.8T!

Aurom

Reaction score
Hi all

Has anyone ever replaced their own brake pads on the A3? Mine need doing and Audi are wanting 156.00 for the job. I have access to a mechanic who will fit them for me, but I understand that there is a special tool to wind thie piston back in.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Richard

Does any one know a good website I could buy the tool from?

at work ive got a sykes picavant brake tool which is mint for the job but you can pick up cheap wind back tools from halfords which are about £10 to £15. if you no a mechanic to do it for you surely he has the tool or knows of some1 with 1

use the tools for the job
if u have a piston that is sticky it will take ages without the correct tool
on mine i had one that was easy and took 2mins - the other took 25 mins

a very easy job tho - def do yourself and spend the dosh on cerveza!!

Yep agree, won't be paying anyone to change the pads on any car again, the rear breaks on the S3 are about as hard as it gets for disc breakes and there a piece of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif...

pop down halfords on the way home get the tool, then pop to Audi get the pads and save yourself a fortune... just make sure you clean the caliper up whilst your doing it and if your feeling adventureus then get some copper grease and put it on the guide surfaces for the pads...

Super quick write up for ya.

The rears are easy. Basically the same as MK4 golf if you want to take a look in a manual.
Unclip the handbrake cables and remove the ends from the caliper.
Undo caliper retaining bolts with a 13mm and a 15mm spanner to hold the slide pin steady. then remove the pads and caliper (tieing it up as not to strain the brake pipe).
Then remove the pads and clean up the piece of metal that the pads slide on.

You then need the brake caliper piston tool to screw in the piston (or use a big screw drivrer or file, but easier with the proper tool.

Then pull off the sticky cover on the back of the pads and re-fit them and bolt up with new bolts (which should come with the pads).

When you get it all back to gether there is no need to adjust the handbrake cables. you just pump the brake pedal to set the rear caliper pistons position before you drive the car.