Maybe another slight engine tweak...

fully kitted out private roads with traffic lights and pedestrian crossings and everything!? cool, gotta love 1:1 Hornby

Yeah, they are awesome man! I've managed to make the model pedestrians move and walk and things. Soooo realistic.

OK, so a thread revival. Should be called maybe another slight engine tweak mark 2.

So, I'm now bored is the upshot. It's been a few months now andI think it's maybe to move on a bit.

I have considered selling the S3 to be fair, running costs are astronomical and along with the unfindable clunk (which I have more new parts to use to try and eliminate it) it gets a bit on my tits.

However, rather than do that, I have decided to give it one last hoorah before getting shot...

Plan is to go with the cheapo OBX large port inlet manifold, available from the states, delivered for sub £300. A copy of the now discontinued RMR inlet manifold for the 1.8T.

I also want more boost. Around a constant 2 bar - maybe a touch more.

Further to this, I am planning to get my map sorted out, as it currently is still using a unisettings'd version of the K04 hybrid map, which is incredible really. It think that it's using 550cc injectors, and the lambda is currently unplugged to keep the fuelling in check... not ideal.

May do away with the lambda completely to be fair, not really that useful on narrowband cars apart from idle and cruise. I am rarely at either.

Also need to (finally) get rid of my 'temporary' (9 months now) bodge of a charge pipe...

Not sure how well this will go to be fair...

Engine has now done 35000 miles since rebuild, and they have been a HARD 35000 miles....

Good to hear Welly, thought you'd completely lost interest.

Not so much that mate, more the fact I have been working flat out for the last 8 weeks or so, I haven't had time to do anything else really.

When I did have 5 minutes, my missus was on at me to do this, or that or the other....

Bumble has been very good bless her through my time of need... All I've done is service it.

It needs some general maintenance now as well to be fair, I need to clean up the water methanol nozzle as it's no doubt blocked up a bit, and just do some general bits and bobs.

My charge pipe is gash so needs to be binned.

What sort of gain do you envisage? Have you experience of this part?

Not a clue mate to be fair, what I do know is that there is one big choke point in my setup, and it's the inlet manifold.

It's still the OEM small port inlet, and I do firmly believe it is responsible for my torque's demise further up the rev range....

Large port inlet should give you more flow and more boost should certinally be seeing you some extra ponies me thinks mr wellings :yahoo:

Shame you never came to westys as was going to try and call a ride in the bumble :(

Large port inlet should give you more flow and more boost should certinally be seeing you some extra ponies me thinks mr wellings :yahoo:

Shame you never came to westys as was going to try and call a ride in the bumble :(

It's not that impressive to be honest, we only overtook a Renault clio when he took me for a drive in it...

It was indeed mate, I would of if I could, ended up working a large part of the 4 day weekend which sucked monkey balls... :-(.

I'll see you about anyway dude to be fair, it's no drama.

Oddly, I have just found what I once thought lost... Bill's Dyno plots on the Ibiza from the FP Green. I managed this whilst digging up data on the FP Red.

On a Scooby site of all places lol.

Naturally I assume that he was just out to wind them up.... :thumbsup:

Anyway... The figures are a lot more than I thought they would be to be fair... A LOT.

Link is here:

FP Green/Red vs MD321T Turbo opinions - ScoobyNet

Any back to the rs4's... Lol......

Good work bud hope it let's you achieve some more talks ;)

OK then.... so i've been and picked up an OBX Large Port inlet manifold this morning. Impressed with the build quality to be fair, will need pressure testing to confirm it's air tight though.

To fit it will need a remote fuel pressure regulator housing as the fuel rail on the manifold doesn't have one. Annoying but not the end of the world to be fair.

Looking forward to fitting it and seeing what we get...

Some photos:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

You should have experimented with one that bill has lying around, sounds like he has alot of stuff just lying there lol. The sem that tuffty used perhaps, then you could see if it changed your torque.

You should have experimented with one that bill has lying around, sounds like he has alot of stuff just lying there lol. The sem that tuffty used perhaps, then you could see if it changed your torque.

No point mate, I paid £250 for this manifold which is a steal.

I do need an inlet manifold regardless to be fair, the small port one that is fitted at the moment doesn't fit to the head well at all. Because it's ill fitting it creates a step between the mouth of the port and the manifold... can't be good for flow...

Hoping to have it fitted by mid week see we shall see what happens... :)

OK, so have been out and about today and have sources the -6 AN fittings that I wanted to make the new fuel rail plug and play.

Seen here, they simply change the fitting to a hose tail I can just slap a hose straight to. Not that dissimilar to the fitting method of the OEM fuel rail really.

6.jpg

Makes installation far easier to be fair. Plan is to use nitrile rubber hose with a stainless steel braid over coat. Initial fitting will be just with rubber hose to make sure all the lengths are OK and don't need any adjustment.

Awaiting remote regulator housing then I shall be fitting as soon as possible afterwards. :thumbsup:

Does it use the standard throttle body? or R32?

It fits the standard S3 throttle body out of the box, direct to the manifold. It also comes with 2 adaptor plates.

One makes the R32 TB fit, the other allows fitment of the 5.0l Mustang throttle body, but looks like it will allow you to fit pretty much anything!

OK, so based on starting fitting last night, these are my initial thoughts....

****!

Anyway, now that's out of the way...

Not the easiest manifold to fit, lets put it that way. To start with, the bolts to actually mount it to the head are next to impossible to access when the fuel rail is fitted - which makes actually bolting the thing up a right PITA.

When mounted, the throttle body is in a completely different place, and on a totally different angle. Makes fitting with the OEM upper boost hoses completely out of the question.

The hose tails on the other end of the plenum stick directly out into the area where the charge pipe runs, making them useless.

The IAT sensor's location has the same problem as above - the plug sticks out MILES and stops the charge pipe sitting even remotely close to when it should be.

Fuel rail's hose tails are going to be a pain to use due to their location and size.

Not unfittable by any means, but not exactly fit and forget...

No photos as I was in too bad a mood to take any last night.

Good points are that is does physically fit, and the injectors also fitted straight in without any issue. Both plus points.

Am going to Forge to (finally - and they are needed really) buy some black upper boost hoses, in the hopes that the silicone will have the additional length and flex to fit the TB where it now lives.

Still waiting on the regulator from Jenvey - hoping it will be here today ideally.

Did some logging on Bumble last night before taking it apart - a bit concerned as the MAF appears to be hitting the limit of 280.33 g/s at 6100 RPM leaving nearly 2000 RPM to go.

This will only get worse with the fitting of the new manifold.... Hmmmm.

I was gonna say based on the few I have seen it was gonna be an **** as all those issues you mention I have seen... but as a mate I felt you needed to discover this for yourself :)

In seriousness... I would have mentioned it if I had A) remembered or 2) you had asked but yeah, the RMR (and its clones) are a bit of an **** to fit... the SEM can be just as bad though mate tbh...

<tuffty/>

OK.... So then. Manifold fitted.

Currently unsure... lol. Feels better towards the top end as expected, however seems to have sacrificed power lower down - again as expected.

I logged the airflow before fitting and then again after. The MAF is now maxing out a full 500 RPM sooner at least, which means that it is definitely flowing more air.

This was also confirmed by the need to remove 3.750 degrees of timing from unisettings...

I will be very interested to see what the dyno has to say about this to be fair - it feels completely different to drive.

Anyway - photos:

7.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

I made it fit in the end - I am now awaiting some fittings from the states just to finish it up.

paint it black lad

Stuff taking the damn thing off again. It was a nightmare to actually bolt up to the head as space is pretty limited.

I like it big and shiny and silver anyway - may well make some other things in the bay silver to match :)

Thats the plan, just want to know what the fuelling is doing really.

Needs mapping again now really badly. It's still running a variant of the K04 Hybrid map from 18 months ago.

Also need to get a new MAF in there, probably an S4 non wideband one as Bill has suggested, so that the ECU has some idea of what airflow in inbound!

good work mate, good job on getting it to fit! Ill pop over to see the results. :)