First mods to the car (stereo)

pangsterA3

Reaction score
Website
www.paullynch.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
When I got my car it came fitted with the stock Concert stereo with multi CD changer in the boot (non BOSE) system.. my head unit seems to be affected with a possessed volume button (common fault it seems after reading/searching some posts on here)..

I wanted my new head unit to look fairly stock (I had an Alpine CDE-9880R in my Z3 and the colour match was spot on) and also wanted full speed iPod/iPhone control - so did a quick search, read some reviews and decided on the Kenwood KDC-BT61U:

kdc-bt61u copy.png

Seems to get a lot of good reviews and has decent spec/features.

After checking on here - I also bought the following to help with the installation:

Autoleads PC9-404 wiring harness
Autoleads FP-1800 fascia adaptor
Autoleads PC-552 aerial adaptor

I think I have all the correct parts for my facelift 2002 Audi A3 8L (non Bose) - but if I've got anything wrong or I'm missing anything? - please let me know!.. should be here Saturday! :)

It got built in bluetooth mate? I need a new radio but dont want to ruin the interior flow lol.

Ooh i likey, only thing is, no cd player. Can you attach the multi changer up to it?

My bad, looking on my iphone haha. So you binning the cd changer off?

Looks good think I'll buy this also I have a tape deck lol very poor , and want streaming control let me know how you get on ;-)

Sound.

Also it looks like youve got everything you need. You got a double or single din dash?

looks like a spot on unit mate.. again i have the same problem with my audi concert unit.. is it rear ipod input or front?
also how much did you pay for the unit and has it got bluetooth
cheers andy

looks like a spot on unit mate.. again i have the same problem with my audi concert unit.. is it rear ipod input or front?
also how much did you pay for the unit and has it got bluetooth
cheers andy

the connection is in the rear of the unit for the usb/iphone/ipod - should be pretty easy to route the cable to the glove box.. had a similar set up with the Z3 -ran the cable from the rear of the Alpine down through the centre console/transmission tunnel..

I got all of the bits from incar express - the head unit itself was £167.99 (which was within a couple of £'s) of the cheapest I could find it - but as I was needing adaptors and face plates etc - figured it would be a lot less hassle just getting them from one place.

Kenwood KDC-BT61U CD Receiver with USB, iPod and Bluetooth built-in £167.99 including VAT. KDCBT61U. Buy discounted car audio online at In-Car Express

HTH

Looks good, let us know what the sound quality and the bluetooth are like to talk on. My cousin has a kenwood (lower model and not Parrot Bluetooth) and the quality isnt great.

will that head unit connect into the standard/Bose speakers fine?? or adapters needed etc

My stereo arrived this morning and I set about installing it. The hardest part of the install (so far) was deciding the placement of the mic for the bluetooth and the routing of the iPod/iPhone cable. I decided the best option would be to remove the clocks and feed the mic cable from the back of the head unit out along the side of the lower clock trim which then allowed me to place the mic on the top cover of the steering column (best place for sound quality/mic pick up). I then had a poke about under the dash and found that there is a document pocket on the right hand side (under the headlight switch) which has a pass through on it - so I fed the iPod cable through this and it keeps the iPhone/iPod out of sight.

Some pictures of the install:

Microphone location and routing of the cable:
IMG_4740.jpg

IMG_4741.jpg
IMG_4751.jpg

iPod/iPhone location:
IMG_4742.jpg

IMG_4743.jpg

Finished installation:
IMG_4759.jpg
IMG_4762.jpg

IMG_4761.jpg

IMG_4760.jpg

IMG_4755.jpg

IMG_4753.jpg

Overall very happy with the choice I made. It looks about as OEM as you can get (unless you stumble across a Becker) - the colour match is spot on. You can change the colour of the display and the buttons independently. I went for white screen and red buttons (similar to the OEM dash gauges) - you also have an option for it to invert the display (positive > negative) when he headlights are on (which is why you might notice a difference in the pictures above).

The sound quality is good (although I've having issues with the rear speakers and sub - will post another thread about that though!!) - very intuitive interface and the sound quality on the built in Parrott Bluetooth is excellent. I have an iPhone 4 and a classic iPod 80 Gb and can select either as a music source (the iPod is hard wired and the iPhone streams via bluetooth). The head unit controls everything i.e. switching songs via BT on the iPhone 4 and it's an iPod styled interface as far as controlling your iPod is concerned (it's also full speed so not laggy like some of the other units you can get).

Hope this helps! - I'll try and stick up some night time shots if I remember and I get a chance later.. :)

Looks good, let us know what the sound quality and the bluetooth are like to talk on. My cousin has a kenwood (lower model and not Parrot Bluetooth) and the quality isnt great.

will that head unit connect into the standard/Bose speakers fine?? or adapters needed etc

sound quality on calls is spot on! - very good indeed.. there are also lots of options in the menu to tweak/enhance this further. The critical thing for installing handsfree in the car is the microphone location (a pillar or steering column is best).

adaptors are required.. as far as I know the only head unit that would hook straight up is a Becker?.. and they don't make units anymore..

Here's some (*crappy*) night pics taken with the iPhone - the colour match is spot on with stock and I don't think it looks too out of place:

night1.jpg

night3.jpg

night4.jpg

night2.jpg

night5.jpg

night6.jpg

it'll give you an idea anyway?.. now I just need to get the rear speakers working!!! (until I get round to upgrading all of them! ;) )

I had same stereo about a year ago.
Decent sound and wireless streaming even your iPhone apps make this great value for your money.
Enjoy:rock:

Looks good maybe you got the wrong iso adaptor lead defo gunna get this stereo though :) nice job

Reactions: pangsterA3
Decided to go for some Pioneer TS-A131Ci for the front (and some AndyMac spacers/adaptors!!) - specs below:

tsa131ci.jpg

Pioneer TS-A131Ci Features/Specifications:
  • Maximum output power 300 Watt
  • Nominal output power 35 Watt
  • Impedance 4ohms
  • Frequency response 28 - 29,000 Hz Hz
  • Sensitivity (1W/1m) 89 dB
  • Woofer size (cm) 13 cm
  • Woofer material Carbon Graphite IMPP Interlaced Aramid Fiber Cone
  • Tweeter size (mm) 20,0 mm
  • Cut-out Hole 121 mm
  • Mounting Depth 52 mm
Hopefully these will fit without too much hassle and as I'll be driving them direct from the head unit - figured they were a good match.. I was going to get the Infinity REF5030CS for around the same price - but there was 2 things that put me off.. the first were the impedance of them (2 Ohm) - my head unit, like most other aftermarket units is 4-8 Ohm and the mounting depth issue.. the Pioneers are 52mm, whereas the Infinity are 57mm...

I'm not looking to spend thousands on the stereo/speaker upgrade - but do want it sounding decent. I think I'll get the new speakers fitted in the front and see how they work out, look into getting the rears working and then decide what I'm going to do about upgrades for the rear. I was thinking about an AMSS and some Pioneer coaxials at some point.. see how this all pans out first though! LOL! :)

I pulled the stereo out today and retraced the wiring and it all looks good.. I tried various configurations/settings with the head unit and the rear speakers could be heard when I faded to the rear and cranked the volume up - but they were pretty bad...

Decided the best thing to do was to rip out the old rear speakers and install some new ones - after a bit of searching/reading/reviewing - I decided to go for: Pioneer TS-A1713i (which should match the front quite well):

PIONEER-TS-A1713I.jpg

Pioneer TS-A1713i Features/Specifications:

• 17cm 3-way coaxial speakers
  • Maximum output power 300 Watt
  • Nominal output power 35 Watt
  • Impedance 4Ω
  • Frequency response 33 – 32,000 Hz
  • Sensitivity (1W/1m) 90 dB
  • Woofer size (cm) 17 cm
  • Woofer material Carbon Graphite IMPP Interlaced Aramid Fiber Cone
  • Tweeter size (mm) 11,0 mm
  • Midrange size (mm) 42,0 mm
  • Cut-out Hole 147 mm mm
  • Mounting Depth 53,3 mm
I've also ordered AndyMac adaptors for these - so will hopefully get all of the new speakers fitted at the weekend!! :) Planning on wiring them all direct to the head unit and just keep the stock amp/bass speaker disconnected.. will probably upgrade to an AMSS at some point in the future - although this should keep me quite content just now! :)

Last edited:
Plug the rear phono amp lead to the sub pre out and put the sub output to full frequency high and low then turn up the sub volume should sort your quiet rears had te same problem hope this helps

Did you solve the rear speaker probs?

I'm about to have a go at sticking an aftermarket radio this week.

Same here just won a great stereo on eBay eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

It's a decent unit! - when I was looking for mine it was between that head unit and the Kenwood.. went for the Kenwood in the end as I figured it would look the more OEM out of the two and a 3 inch screen is a bit gimmicky and not really worth watching anything on TBH - spec wise they're both very similar so I'm sure you won't have any problems.. you'll need to post some pics when it's installed (and let me know how you get on)..

I'm going to (*hopefully*) get round to fitting and wiring in the new speakers this weekend.. opted for the Pioneers above which I'll be driving direct from the head unit.. should sound pretty decent.. i hope! LOL! :)

Fitted the front speakers today and very happy with them.. they weren't too bad to fit and the design of the door card is better than on a lot of cars (no clips to break or loose!!)..

The sound quality and range from the new front speakers is awesome - very impressed with them.. have had a play with the settings on the head unit and very happy with the results so far! - next week I'll get the rears sorted and run the speaker wire straight from the head unit harness to the rear speakers and have those driven directly off the head unit as well as I've still not got to the bottom of the issue with the stock rear speakers and amp... :)

Nice work, i'm looking at sticking some Focals in mine to replace the front and rears.

I re-wired my rears to the head unit and it's well worth doing.

Reactions: pangsterA3