bose sound system upgrade?

jamin

Reaction score
hello everybody,

i was thinking of upgrading my standard sound system to the audi bose system.ive allready got the speakers door cards and trim but i wanted to know if the bose amplifier is a straight swap or if you would have to do some wiring to get it installed.
anyone done this?
i dont know if the standard system even has an amplifier.
i dont mind if i have to do some wiring but just wanted to know what was required before i get into it.
also is there a bose subwoofer?
all help much appreciated.
cheers

You need the full wiring loom, front to back, that include power for the bose amp, power for the sub amp, all the speaker cable and the loom from the HU to the boot. None of the non Bose wiring can be used. Only the rear speakers are amped (and sub) on the non Bose system, whereas all the Bose speakers are amped. The wiring from the HU only has a rear feed whereas you need front & rear for the Bose system. All the speakers have to be swapped and the sub. It's quite a lot of work for a slight improvement in sound quality as the Bose system in the 8L is probably the worst Bose system on the market. Far better to leave everything stock and install a stealth sub. This will give you a far better result for a lot less work.

^^^ what he said...

20100630_IMG_6767.jpg

20100630_IMG_6771.jpg

<tuffty/>

blimey,that does sound like too much work for not much improvement.
i did not know there was a sub amp,is that part of the bose amp or is it part of the sub?
also i assume that the bose sub has a different speaker and has the bose sub amp instead of the standard amp which i beleive is part of the standard sub.then the bose amp i think is located on the right hand side of the boot,is that right?i dont know if there would be a special bracket for fitting the bose amp on the right hand side of the boot.
of course if you wanted to go the stealth sub route you would get better sound quality,i just wanted to keep it all original if i could but sounds like its really not worth doing.
thanks.

Yes sub amp is inside the Bose sub tupperware enclosure. There is a bracket that you need to mount the Bose cabin amp inside the drivers side cubbyhole, it sits low down just behind the rear lights. The Bose sub has 2 x 4" speakers in it, here's the 2 side by side:
OEMSubs.jpg

thanks andymac,
thats cleared all that up.
i now know all i wanted to know about the s3 bose system,personally i dont think i would bother with this upgrade as its too much hassle and it still does not sound fantastic.
honestly,thanks vey much for your help i am really gratefull.
take care mate,chat to you soon.