EM TuningAH Fabrications
    Neutral

Status

3" Downpipe - Fitting Instructions?

Like probably a hundred other people on here, I've just bought the new XS Power 3" downpipe and cat. It all looks spot on, well done Welly for all the perseverance, you're a legend for getting that sorted!

So from what I've read on fitting one on an S3, there's the hard way (removing the head) or the harder way (not removing the head), neither of which sound too appetizing but I'm potentially willing to give it a go (never done any engine work before).

What I'm hoping for is a text book Audi-Sport fitting guide with step by step fool proof instructions for the below-average modder. Is it worth getting my hands dirty on this or am I going to screw up, not fit the cambelt properly and destroy my car? More than happy to cut the old downpipe out if that makes it easier, but I am doing this on my drive so only have drive on ramps.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated!
    Currently running a MTM stage 1 map, ECS brakes, Forge DV, Bager 5 TIP, 18" RS4s, Bilsteins, H&R springs, Tie bars, Milltek catback... but not for long...

2. # ADS
    ADS

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    You dont remove the head for a downpipe..you may have to loosen the subframe..
    Last edited by s3dave; 12th October 2011 at 16:21.

Neutral

Status
    Excellent news. So I should be able to just do this on a pair of ramps then you reckon?

So mark the subframe up, drop it slightly, undo turbo to dp bolts, slide off cat-back, rip the old one out, pop the new one in with new gasket/bolts and reverse?
    Currently running a MTM stage 1 map, ECS brakes, Forge DV, Bager 5 TIP, 18" RS4s, Bilsteins, H&R springs, Tie bars, Milltek catback... but not for long...

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    take the drivers side wheel off too. theres SOME room through there and the DP to turbo bolts can be seen quite clearly.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    ... I normally remove the driveshaft as the proper VAG way is to take the DP out through the space in the wheel well... however... I also normally cut the thing in two... softest bit is the flexi where it joins either end of the DP and used an air chisel to chop at it...

They can be taken out in one piece apparently but so far I have never done it and time is money... if you don't plan to keep the original DP (not really much use tbh and not worth swapping back if selling the car) then hack it to remove...

The 3" DP goes in a piece of cake comparatively... slots in from underneath through the tunnel...

If dropping the subframe you will need to support the rack as it can come undone at the column joint and is an arse to refit... I also undo the dogbone to allow a bit of movement in the engine and have undone the 3 bolts holding the prop too so that can be moved to one side... obviously easier on a 2 post lift than axle stands but can be done... just give yourself the time to do it and don't rush... plenty of WD40 for the nuts help too

OEM twin cats suffer big time... the nuts face front getting all the road water/grime and they use studs from the CAT flanges... most I have done are so far gone the only thing to do is to cut them off with a disc cutter and the studs are beyond repair anyway... only one I managed to get off in one piece was Danes...

Good luck

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

5th Gear

Status
    How much was this and where can I get one from

Comrades of Vag find us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/comradesof.vag?ref=hl

3rd Gear

Status
    Having done this twice in the last couple of weeks, all I can say is it is a bit of a nightmare to do. As Tuffty said above, remove sub frame, driveshaft, and dog bone mount and chop the original downpipe is probably the easiest way. Make sure you have lots of extension bars and knuckle joints.
    B5 v1 Tip, Relentless v2 Manifold, Beach Buggy Hybrid, Pipewerx D.P and cat bypass, Miltek resonated cat back, AH Fabs v2 Intercooler, S2000 Filter, 83mm 9.5:1 CP Pistons, Brute Rods, Bosch 550cc Injectors, Oil Catch can, N249 delete, B5 Phenolic Gasket.
    H&R Springs, Koni FSD Shocks, s3dave's rear tie bars, LCR Brembo's, 18" ttrs alloys, replaced all suspension bushes, 15/20mm spacers front/rear.

Now just waiting on my B5 exhaust manifold as the Relentless is goosed.

Neutral

Status
    Nice one lads, all good responses. Sounds like a pig of a job but reckon I'll try and give it a go. Will try and get some photos as well if I remember.

In terms of other bits I need to get, will I need new subframe bolts, turbo gasket/bolts, exhaust grease/sealent (for want of a better word)? Anything else I need to add to that? All from Audi or can I get that stuff elsewhere? There's a GSF round the corner from me which could be pretty useful.

Arron - have a read of Welly's XS Power Downpipes & Manifolds thread and pm him for the discount details. Mine was £410 for DP, sports cat and delivery, bargain!

Cheers again all!

3rd Gear

Status
    Yeah make sure you have new gaskets for example turbo to downpipe etc and some sealant wouldnt go astray. You wont need new bolts anywhere.
    B5 v1 Tip, Relentless v2 Manifold, Beach Buggy Hybrid, Pipewerx D.P and cat bypass, Miltek resonated cat back, AH Fabs v2 Intercooler, S2000 Filter, 83mm 9.5:1 CP Pistons, Brute Rods, Bosch 550cc Injectors, Oil Catch can, N249 delete, B5 Phenolic Gasket.
    H&R Springs, Koni FSD Shocks, s3dave's rear tie bars, LCR Brembo's, 18" ttrs alloys, replaced all suspension bushes, 15/20mm spacers front/rear.

Now just waiting on my B5 exhaust manifold as the Relentless is goosed.

1st Gear

Status
    Hmm what a chow on, i was thinking about doing this but i think i will pass. maybe something to do in the summer

1st Gear

Status
    you need a ramp really its a pig job even in a garage !!
    Audi S3 8L 2001 imola yellow autobahn tip, heatshield, metal mesh cone filter, apr r1 DV, REVO stage1, SPS box, Weitec coilovers, forge short shift kit, bosch aero wipers, 20mm rear spacers Wanted 3"Dp Decat rear arms pm me

my progress thread http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...ss-thread.html