Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
    Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status

Radio interference when using heated rear screen.

As title suggests i am getting interference on my radio when i out the heated rear screen on. The signal seems ok when in normal use but as soon as i press the button for the heated screen the radio goes all hissy and only returns to normal once i turn off the heated screen.

I did do a google search for this issue but didnt see any answerss to help solve the problem.

I have checked the back of the stereo and thats fine no issues there.

I took the trim off the inside of the tailgate and checked the connections i spotted that one of the wires was detached from the rear window so have re-soldered this back but still got the same issue.

There are 2 little FM things on either side of the screen marked left and right i done know what these are but do they boost the signal and could they be the cause of the problem?
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

2. # ADS
    ADS

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    i get this if i turn my lights on full. dont listen to radio so dont bother me really

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

Status
    i am upgrading my Syphony2 HU to RNS-E soon so will see if the problem persists but any other solutions that i can investigate would be appreciated
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

8L > 8P > 8V

Status
    Is it just radio, not CD? Does it affect FM, LW and MW?
    '02 A3 TDI quattro sport

8L IS DE BEST

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Aar0n View Post
    Is it just radio, not CD? Does it affect FM, LW and MW?
    Checked this morning and its just FM that seems to be affected

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    mines on an alpine stereo. i have a sneaky feeling mines just loose i dunno. probably an unrelated issue

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA3 View Post
    mines on an alpine stereo. i have a sneaky feeling mines just loose i dunno. probably an unrelated issue
    Yeah not heard of headlights causing this before so your probably right. The prob i have is known as when i googled it the prob was related to other models too EG the 8P, A6 and TT but couldnt really find a solution for it.

Someone mentioned checking the rear screen for breaks in the lines so have done this and found a slight break which i have now repaired but still the problem persists.

12th Gear

Status
    I get this too, let me know if you want me to check anything. I'll look for broken links in the screen wiring in a bit.

8L > 8P > 8V

Status
    It could be a possibility that the amplifier in the aerial on the roof has stopped working properly.
    '02 A3 TDI quattro sport

8L IS DE BEST

Status
    i took the Bose amp out and had a look at that and it seemed in perfect condition no corrosion (thought maybe water had got to it) so just put it back together.

Is there a seperate amp for the aeriel if so where is it located as the only bits i found were the 2 weird FM things attached to the tailgate either side of the glass under the trim but not sure what these are or what they do.

8L > 8P > 8V

Status
    It's the amplifier within the aerial base but I think it's to do with the screen itself. It could be a simple short.

How did you fix the break in the rear screen element? Are you 100% sure that it's fixed?
    It might be worth steaming up the rear and use the rear screen to check that there isnt any obvious areas that aren't clearing or check each line.
    Are you sure that the wire that was detached from the screen originally should be attached?
    Are the "FM" things you mentioned the inline amplifiers? They may need replacing...

I know these are pretty basic questions but it could help to narrow it down a bit
    Last edited by TDIQ; 12th October 2011 at 16:34.
    '02 A3 TDI quattro sport

8L IS DE BEST

Neutral

Status
    iv heard this is common on a3s

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Aar0n View Post
    It's the amplifier within the aerial base but I think it's to do with the screen itself. It could be a simple short.

How did you fix the break in the rear screen element? Are you 100% sure that it's fixed?
    It might be worth steaming up the rear and use the rear screen to check that there isnt any obvious areas that aren't clearing or check each line.
    Are you sure that the wire that was detached from the screen originally should be attached?
    Are the "FM" things you mentioned the inline amplifiers? They may need replacing...

I know these are pretty basic questions but it could help to narrow it down a bit
    The rear screen in my car has been replaced at some point as when cleaning it after i bought it i found some bits of glass inside the boot under the spare wheel etc So am pretty sure its not the original one but defo looks like an OEM part.

I have checked all the lines in the rear screen and the one i repaired wasnt working and after the repair now is so i am pretty sure i have fixed it. To fix it i used some of the stuff you can buy that is like a touchup paint but conducts electric current so a bit like liquid metal.

The wire i re-attached was on the right hand side and solders to the rear screen in 2 places (there is an identical wire on the other side of the screen) yeah i am pretty sure it should be attached as it did look like it was fitted there but had come away from the glass.

The 2 FM thingy`s could well be inline amplifiers as i said am not 100% sure but i bet they are expensive lol

Cheers for your advise

Status
    With the mornings being colder the last couple of days i have had my heated rear screen on and noticed that 2 of the lines near the bottom on one side were not clearing.

Checked them last night and could see a faint gap so used dome more of the electrostat paint to repair them and this morning they were working and also my interference on the radio seemed to of fixed itself

Will see if the problem is still gone 2moro morning on my way to work bt hopefully that was the cause of my issue and if so not a difficult fix once you have found which lines have breaks in them.

Status
    Just to confirm that fixing the broken lines in the rear screen solved the interference i was getting so if you are having issues this would be a good place to start.