S3 front wishbone bushes.

ian52

2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow
Reaction score
Just did the rear bushes on the front wishbones tonight and the wishbones are different. One has the larger front bush and one the smaller one.I was going to get polly bushes for the front and the smaller bush side has a polly bush fitted and the bigger one hhas a standard bush so one wishbone must have been changed at some point. My haldex isnt working at the moment and under hard acceleration it pulls to the left slightly so im not sure if its just torque steer or the different front bushes now. Pitty i couldnt just buy one new polly bush on its own instead of a pair.

Am I right in thinking that the front wishbones are different on pre & post facelift? I seem to recall that the larger bush version is post facelift.

Youve got a very rare wishbone their mate.

All pre and post s3's should have a 45mm bush, it was only the very first tt's that had the smaller 30mm wishbone, but due to a recall virtualy all of the 30mm wishbones were destroyed. If you had both the same then youd have a small fortuns on your hands as they got foe ailly money.

Youve got a very rare wishbone their mate.

All pre and post s3's should have a 45mm bush, it was only the very first tt's that had the smaller 30mm wishbone, but due to a recall virtualy all of the 30mm wishbones were destroyed. If you had both the same then youd have a small fortuns on your hands as they got foe ailly money.

very early s3's also had the smaller 30mm bush, not just TT's.
id sell and buy a wishbone with a larger one. after selling one for the other it prob wont cost anything.
thing is with two different sizes and two totally different compound bushes you'l prob always get some handling and pulling to the side issues.

That's what I was thinking. The smaller bush has a polly one in it and the other standard.

Why did they change the wishbones anyway?

So whats the actual reason for going to a bigger bush?

Cant think how putting a bigger bush in would help it. Its only going to let the wishbone move about more.

I was thinking more when you corner hard etc the wishbone will move about more due to the side loads.

It was a combination of things that they changed I think, I can't remember the exact issues but I seem to remember people spinning their TTs because of oversteer. Perhaps the bigger bushes at the front promoted more understeer and made the balance more neutral. They added a small spoiler too I think...?? This is all just from a vague memory of events so it may well be different..