Well looks like my HG is finally on its way out.........

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
As the title, looks like my head gasket is on its way out.

Out and about today shopping, the low level coolant sensor came on, was on the motorway so pulling over wasn't really an option, after 10 - 20 seconds it went off and didn't come back on, thought fine, maybe playing up.
Got home, washed the car inside and out earlier, thought why'll im at it ill check the coolant and change some 8mm silicone id fitted for 7mm as it seemed to have been weeping.
Checked the coolant and it was well low but it had a section in the corner that was quite brown. Changed the silicone coolant pipe and when i pulled it off, there was oil in the pipe, i say oil but i cant be a 100%, it definitely wasn't coolant, it was too oily in feel and dark.
Checked the oil and it was fine all be it a little low.

Thoughts gents!!!!

Yup, thats the strange thing, hendo my vauxhall mechanic mate brought home a tester, one that you unscrew the header tank lid, bung it in and it changes the fluid if exhaust gase's etc are present, came back fine, thats was 3-4 months ago though.

Whats your thoughts sandip, i know your the HG expert these days lol.

I ****** hate cylinder heads and gaskets lol

Top the coolant up and if the level starts to drop i'd get another sniff test done and if that doesn't reveal anything maybe a compression test.

Maybe it's time to put that largeport on :eyebrows:

Well going to keep an eye on it, there's also another silicone coolant hose that's a suspect weeper but didn't have time to change it, that's a job for in the week.

Haha already thought that mate don't you worry :). Just means my respray money will get spent.

Well going to keep an eye on it, there's also another silicone coolant hose that's a suspect weeper but didn't have time to change it, that's a job for in the week.

Haha already thought that mate don't you worry :). Just means my respray money will get spent.

Best way Dan, keep an eye on coolant,hoses, oil, a sweet exhaust scent. You ain't that far from me, if you need a second pair of eyes/hands, give me a shout :icon_thumright:

Will do, any idea what the stuff in the coolant could be?

Thanks mate, may have to take you up on that.

We need to sort out a meet at the post just off the m1.

No idea, if it was oil i think you'd know about it as it would be quite frothy

Let me know when and where this meet is :)

Thought so, someones been tampering again, lmao.

Its the last sunday of every month mate.

You meaning the posty dan?
The thing that happens sunday evenings?
Also, the slimey stuff in the hose... could be very old antifreeze?
I had a water hose go on mine a few months ago and to be fair the slime it left on top of the gear box was worrying but turned out to just be whats normaly inside the engine making its way out ,
I would flush the coolant system and then refill with fresh clean coolant, That way you know where you are with things and can keep an eye on it from there.

Yeah thats the one mate. Is it every sunday or the last sunday?

Good call paul, ill keep and eye on it and flush as soon as i get chance, also going to change that coolant hose tomorrow if i can.

Im not sure pal. i will try and find out, i used to go a while back. If there will be a couple of other S3's there i may well make the effort

Me and my mate, hes got a red s3, dave says hes up for it, you, sandip, could rope tim
Into it with his gay 8p s3 haha :).