Odd knocking issue

JoeD

Reaction score
The issue I'm having with the car, is, when idling upon initial cold start up the engine knocks, which appears to be coming from the bottom end (So I'm assuming low oil pressure related issues =/ ) once the car is up to temp the knocking is gone, but when in the car initally, vibrations can be felt through the cabin. I'm unsure what issue this relates to exactly, as there doesnt appear to be any loss in performance or power at the moment, but I know obviously that this issue needs to be corrected as it will probably cause long term damage. The car is going in for full service saturday but I have little faith that a service will correct the knocking issue. I'm thinking dodgy oil pump or along those lines.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Sounds like engine mounts, open the bonnet and if it's an AGU pull the throttle yourself otherwise have somebody press on and off the accelerator. Look for excessive rocking backward and forwards.

Cheers mate, could quite possibly be the issue, this would relate to the knock heard, when any hard launch's or hard braking is invovled a knock is heard which sounded mount related. I'll have the mech look over the car Saturday. I'm hoping its mount related and not my big end bearing =(

Have a look at the dog bone mount on the bottom of the engine. My car was doing it too and when the clutch was changed the broken dog bone mount was found. Stuck a new one in and it solved it.

Sounds like the dual mass flywheel. try putting your foot down on the pedal and see if it stops