Cleaning the S3 - Please could everyone send a reply !!

BigSimon

Reaction score
Hi,

As there are so many people attached to this forum I thought that it would be a good idea to get a list together of the best products used to clean the S3, this will help many people to choose the right products and hopefully save people on the forum paying for a product which is basically crap.

Please detail the following -

a) Best Leather Cleaning Product -

b) Best Dash Cleaning Product -

c) Best Carpet Cleaning Product -

d) Best car polish -

e) Best Cleaning product for Grille, plastic trim (side and rear) -

f) Best Glass Cleaning Product -

g) Best Wheel Cleaning Product -

h) Best Tyre Dressing Product -

I) Best Tar Remover -

J) Best Engine Cleaning Product -

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions, remember that you have helped a fellow Audi Owner to make the right choice !

Simon

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/MexWave.gif

a) Best Leather Cleaning Product - Auto Glym Leather Cleaning Spary followed by Auto Glym Leather Care Cream.

b) Best Dash Cleaning Product - Turtle Wax Extreme Cockpit Shine

c) Best Carpet Cleaning Product - Carplan Stain Valet

d) Best car polish - Auto Glym Super Resin Polish followed by Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection

e) Best Cleaning product for Grille, plastic trim (side and rear) - Back to Black

f) Best Glass Cleaning Product - Auto Glym Glass Cleaner

g) Best Wheel Cleaning Product - Wonder Wheels

h) Best Tyre Dressing Product - Meguiars Hot Shine Tyre Spray (Awesome !!)

I) Best Tar Remover - Auto Glym Tar Remover

J) Best Engine Cleaning Product - ?

This is my input.

Simon

[ QUOTE ]
" d) Best car polish - Auto Glym Super Resin Polish followed by Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection"

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to think this until I tried Meguiars - Goldclass wax or the 3 stage system.
No more white dust, no more white residue stuck in the gaps etc.

No competition.

The biggest recommendation I can give is to buy some decent cloths. Dont use cheapo Muttoncloth, you know the stuff that you can buy in halfords thats on a roll.

Buy some proper terry towel cloths and some microfibre cloths and you wont look back. It makes your life so much easier when removing the polish.

I would disagree with all your recommendations.

Mers is the dogs dangly bits on most parts of the car. QVC ha sthe best cleaning and moisturising product for leather.

Unless you are selling a car, why bother with the tyres and the dash is best cleaned with a clean dry cotton cloth.

John,

Thanks for your input.

The idea of this is to get everyones feedback, have you been sleeping with the director of Mer ?

It's ok but trust me when I say that if you use the Auto Glym Polish and extra gloss you will be amazed.

Si

Leather Lustre Leather Cleaner & Troubleshooter 3 Piece Kit

£24 for the Kit but it is the best. If you want \i will give you a demonstartion, you will not be disappointed.

John,

I have taken your word for it and just purchased the leather cleaning kit on line at QVC.co.uk.

I hope it's Good !!

Cheers,

Simon (Reply to my PM)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shutup.gif

I had all the Auto Glym kit (EGP too) and thought it was good, until I tried Meguires - far superior imo.

As Jojo says, no white polish residue and the shine is always superb

So I use all Meguires stuff now

Dunc

[ QUOTE ]
I had all the Auto Glym kit (EGP too) and thought it was good, until I tried Meguires - far superior imo.

So I use all Meguires stuff now

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm exactly the same Dunc, I use meguiars all the time now and wouldnt use Autoglym again.

My recommendations:

a) Best Leather Cleaning Product - Liquid Leather

b) Best Dash Cleaning Product - a damp chamois

c) Best Carpet Cleaning Product - a hoover /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

d) Best car polish - MaGuires 3 step... Used AutoGlym for years, tried Mer but MaGuires rocks!

e) Best Cleaning product for Grille, plastic trim (side and rear) - Back to Black spray.

f) Best Glass Cleaning Product - Auto Glym fast Glass.

g) Best Wheel Cleaning Product - Wonder Wheels (occaisional use, soapy water when possible)

h) Best Tyre Dressing Product - MaGuires High Gloss Tyre Protection (Lasts ages /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

I) Best Tar Remover - No Idea, never used any!

J) Best Engine Cleaning Product - No Idea either.. Gunk?

Also as r88per say's, use decent clothes, makes all the difference...

Ade

best glass cleaning product - use newspaper instead of cloth and use something like vinegar or lime juice, trust me you'll be amazed

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm exactly the same Dunc, I use meguiars all the time now and wouldnt use Autoglym again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dito. I used to use Autoglym products, but now I would not look past Meguiars.

A couple of my workmates use Swissoll, and I am convinsed it is no better that the Meguiars products.

I find that the Autoglym synthetic chamois is really good - soaks up the water in no time and lasts well. Was about 12 quid I think.

[ QUOTE ]
best glass cleaning product - use newspaper instead of cloth and use something like vinegar or lime juice, trust me you'll be amazed

[/ QUOTE ]

completely agree! - Smells a bit funny though if you use it on the inside!

Arvo, my 2p

a) Best Leather Cleaning Product - Meguairs Leather Cleaner and Conditioner (Best Buy by AutoExpress and the £7 bottle has lasted 3 years)

b) Best Dash Cleaning Product - As said before a good chamois is the best

c) Best Carpet Cleaning Product - On the look out myself.

d) Best car polish - Meguairs Gold Class Wax. Really is the shinest and most reflective I have used compared to Mer, AutoGlym and Turtle.

e) Best Cleaning product for Grille, plastic trim (side and rear) - Toothbrush for getting in there, for the trim the Meguair Clay bar takes the crap off and the spray glossens it up nicely.

f) Best Glass Cleaning Product - for the exterior Rainex and Newspaper and for the interior Windowlene and Newspaper

g) Best Wheel Cleaning Product - Wonder Wheels for the hard stuff, Wynns Wheel Cleaner for general use.

h) Best Tyre Dressing Product - Meguairs Endurance Tyre Gel, the longest lasting and nicest to smell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

I) Best Tar Remover - Depending where found, claybar is good for the body work. For Wheels: Wonder Wheels and some elbow grease!

J) Best Engine Cleaning Product - Dunno I guess a steam clean.

Cheers