Damage under car - serious? Pics attached.

• Thread starter imported_monkeytrousers
  • Start date
I

imported_monkeytrousers

Hello,

I have damaged something underneath my car (S3) - I think I did it by running over a big pile of compacted snow or ice.

There is a piece of plastic hanging down from under the car, roughly in line with the front wheels and on the right hand side if looking under the car from the front.

I don't think it is serious, it looks like a plastic casing, and doesn't seem to be broken as such, but has come away from whatever was holding it in place. As it is hanging down it is grounding.

Please see attached pictures - any ideas what it is and is it serious? Do you think it is easily mended?

Cheers!

From the front looking under the car:

underdamage1.jpg

From behind the nearside front wheel, looking towards the front of the car:

underdamage2.jpg

that is the plastic that holds your sound deadenind tray on (where is yours by the way not in pics)

That looks a bit like the same thing I did a while back when I grounded my car on a country road. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

Mine was on the driver's side.

Thought it was plastic until I tried to remove it, but it seemed to be metal - couldn't easily shift it.

Got the stealer to look at it, and if I remember rightly they said it was nothing serious and whatever it was could be replaced at the next service. It's not hanging down now so I guess they bent it back up or removed it.

This was a while ago - and I accept no responsibility if this is not what's happened to yours and the car loses it wheels/suspension. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
that is the plastic that holds your sound deadenind tray on (where is yours by the way not in pics)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i'd say its brakets for the shitt guard, if so wheres yours gone?

j8436741:

Thanks - no idea what a sound deadening tray is or where it should be, I'm not aware of anything falling from the car at any time. Would that be serious if not there?

no just make the road noise more noticable and makes the engine bay more open to the wet road good to have them the part number is on a recent thread

Not serious. My former A3 was the same. It's just the lowest point of a plastic cover and you have ground the rivet off or broken the plastic lug. I would ignore it if the car drives well.

I'm not sure that there is a sound tray on the S3, certainly not on mine...

there is and here is the part number Anyways, the standard S3 item part number is 1J0 825 237 R.

They are only about £30 new from audi.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure that there is a sound tray on the S3, certainly not on mine...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nor mine or my mates.
I spoke to the dealer after buying mine and they confirmed that they were not fitted on the S3, they have a partial sh#t sheild, but the section near the sump was never fitted to aid airflow around the engine and keep under bonnet temps down.