JMB RetrofitsVolks Autos
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Buzzer

Thread: Is the end near??

Nogaro S3

Status

Is the end near??

Just found out that my girlfriend of 4 and a bit years is pregnant (planned) and attention has turned to my car already lol we suspect her to be approx 2 month gone so 7 months remaining
    I absolutely love my car and don’t want to let it go, I keep saying that a pram and shopping will fit and that leaning in and out the back (it’s a 3dr) isn’t a problem but I am being blind to the fact that a 3dr car isn’t practical???
    One alternative I have in mind is a Seat Leon Cupra, I don’t want to get a diesel/1.4 16v no power model, I still want to remain VAG and 1.8T 20V. If I was to change I wouldn’t want to drag it out id want to change soon so i can get it how I like before a child consumes all of my available income lol
    What would be your advice as parents / unbiased outsiders is a 3dr practical or would you get a 5dr????

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    You may be able to 'get by' with an infant carrier for a few months, but when they start growing you'll be doing your back in having to crawl in every time to strap in and out...

Get a 5-door.

(And re-read your post after it's born, 'income consumer' won't be how you'll be descibing it then)
    A4 2.0TDI S Line (2008)
    MMI/Sat Nav, Parking System Advanced, Advanced Key

If In doubt, Flat out!

Status
    If it were me, I'd be looking at a 4 door saloon. The s3 is just so impractical when it comes to getting people and things in and out of the back. Not sure if they're chunkier seats though. And let's face it... The boot is a little on the small side. Lol.

Chugger

Status
    Like most things it isn't impossible, but I think it would be extremely annoying. We managed to get 3 people plus 4 days of luggage and camping and cooking equipment in mine... But it's such a pain. Also travelling in the back of an s3 isn't pleasant at all if you have a sensitive passenger (most women).

I'd use this as an excuse to go diesel estate tbh, they arnt exactly sluggish anymore and look quite smart. you can also buy some more dedicated when funds allow.
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

Nogaro S3

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SamDude View Post
    (And re-read your post after it's born, 'income consumer' won't be how you'll be describing it then)

He He, I meant that in the nicest possible way, we are both over the moon with the news,

Ye I’m thinking i am more, "we will get by" than practical,

Nogaro S3

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sportstractor View Post
    Like most things it isn't impossible, but I think it would be extremely annoying. We managed to get 3 people plus 4 days of luggage and camping and cooking equipment in mine... But it's such a pain. Also travelling in the back of an s3 isn't pleasant at all if you have a sensitive passenger (most women).

I'd use this as an excuse to go diesel estate tbh, they arnt exactly sluggish anymore and look quite smart. you can also buy some more dedicated when funds allow.
    Dont think id go diesel as i dont do enough miles to need it really, and i love the 1.8T blocks so think i will stick to that engine. i suppose messing about with you a**e out the door trying to put a baby in a seat on a main road could be dangerous lol

Chugger

Status
    Well with fuel increasing at a silly rate the point at which it becomes cost effective to have a diesel get lower. Iv had a 1.8t s3 and a 1.9 tdi golf, and while I love the pace and extra luxury of the Audi, I kind of wish I had the golf still. A friend bough it off me and he gets double the miles that I get per fill, and it soon adds up moneywise. Obviously if you got loads of money it's no problem, but I kind of feel sick from the amount I have to spend fueling vehicles, me and the petrol station guys are on first name terms. Serious.

Why not look at an lcr? They're all 5 door and are quicker than ze Audi
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Time to upgrade to an S4 mate!

No seriously, I actually had to take my day old son home in my S3, I even purchased a pram/travel system that would fold and fit easily into the S3, so it's possible. Long term though, if you are a taller person, you will do your back in, so 4/5dr is the best solution.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

poking badgers with spoons
    Mouse Race Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion

Status
    easiest solution is keep the s3 buy a roof rack and strap the baby to it ...

its a joke dont every one go mad :D but seriously just put the kid in the boot

a few of my mates have kids and have LCR 's and they dont seem to have problems so that could be a good choice

colicabcadam
    RS6 C5 ftw

but in all honesty, you wait and see how much it costs to bring up a baby / child

sell it and get a a6 tdi or something

Nogaro S3

Status
    I think an estate/saloon may be a bit too big, i am still thnking a 5dr hatch

2nd Gear

Status
    I had an A6 1.8T Avant when my lad was born and on the slightest weekend away, it earnt its stripes by being a cavern... If you think you don't need a massive estate in their first few years, think again But 3 doors = no chance with a baby. The lad's now 5 and it's on now but bad with anything younger...
    '01 AMK, completely standard except for the Ambient Lighting Pack.

Missing the S3

Status
    Going to go against most comments here, my sister and brother inlaw have a 3 door clio (03/04 reg) so a fair bit smaller than a 3 door A3 and they cope fine, my newphew is now 2, there looking to change now but this is because come February no.2 child will have arrived. I've had my nephews car chair in the back of my S3 a couple of times and had no problems getting him in or out, and theres a fair bit of boot space in the A3/S3. Dont know about the A3 but my S3 has isofix which is great, and the recaro child seats only require one base unlike other brands so when you need to upgrade as they get bigger you dont need a new base to take advantage of the iso fix system. Stick with the A3 until you find its not up to the job anymore.

Its me Juicy - L8 JCY

Status
    Ive just sold my mgf and bought an s3 as i thought that would be more practical as we are trying for a baby! So i will stick with my s3.
    But i may not be saying that when i actually have one
    IMOLA YELLOW S3 - 265bhp remap - LIVE THE DREAM & DRIVE FAST........................

5th Gear

Status
    If it was me rs4 or Porsche cayenne turbo both of which you can get for around 16grand maybe even cheaper if you look hard enough

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AARON77 View Post
    If it was me rs4 or Porsche cayenne turbo both of which you can get for around 16grand maybe even cheaper if you look hard enough
    LOL! 8L A3 into £16k car! I'm sure if he had £16k to blow on a car, he'd just buy a second car...

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    LOL! 8L A3 into £16k car! I'm sure if he had £16k to blow on a car, he'd just buy a second car...
    That's how much he will spend on nappies in 3 years

Comrades of Vag find us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/comradesof.vag?ref=hl

2nd Gear

Status
    Got a shock when starting to read , " girlfriend of 4 and a bit years was pregnant "
    Wow that's young. Glad I read on and congradulations
    3 dr is an absolute nightmare, reaching in to organise the baby seat etc will put your back out in no time. Proud mother will want to be beside the baby aswell, not in a 3rd.
    It's hard work with a 4 dr also. I'm blessed that she has a bora for the kids and I have my toy. You could just get a cheap enough but safe 4 dr as a second car, dirty diesel.
    Kaibo likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    A3 5door 1.8t quattro, sit in a Leon and 100% the dash and feel of the interior well put you off after your S3.
    Last edited by moredoor; 3rd October 2011 at 21:46.
    Audi A3 1.8T AUM Sport with more doors.

6th Gear

Status
    How about mk4 or mk5 r32.
    2000 AMK S3, Revo'd, forge 007p, B8's, H&R's, tarox g88's, ferrodo ds2500's, and in the fastest colour

Nogaro S3

Status
    It would seem most people suggest a 4/5 door, not sure on the boot space in a saloon as it's just the boot lid that lifts up and not the window as well. Btw it May be worth saying I have an A3 and no extra cash as it needs to go in the baby fund

Status
    Downgrade to a mk4 golf

5th Gear

Status
    4 door a3 1.8 t

Comrades of Vag find us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/comradesof.vag?ref=hl

4th Gear

Status
    Just buy a 5 door diesel fpor your Mrs and then you have best of both world, if you cant run two cars as a family then youll struggle with a 3 door sadly so id be going 5 door A3 or Golf or Leon or Octavia
    1999 Audi S3 Superchips remap, Forge 007p, Phatnoise, Black Diamond Discs & DS2500 pads, N249 Deleted, Badger 5 TIP, Poly dogbone bush, Bilstein B8's and Eibach Springs.

1986 Audi Coupe Quattro 2.2 restoration project

5th Gear

Status
    My advice, Dont sell!!!

a 3DR is fine. I have a 1yr old daughter now and a 3dr A3 and the travel system pram and shopping and all shopping DOES FIT IT.. I was told to sell mine for a 5 dr and i didnt. Glad i didnt because as i said, it all fits in so dont worry. Good luck with the baby tho, your life will never be the same...(in a good way i mean)
    Audi A3 1.8 Turbo, Wietec Ultra GT 40mm kit, 3" Full Custom Stainless Steel Exhaust, Custom Code stage 1 remap, 17" RS4 Alloys, Whiteline ARB

6th Gear

Status
    Keep the S3 and buy an A4 Avant for the missus, job jobbed.

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

5th Gear

Status
    Unfortunately a 3dr is a right PITA to get the kids into & out of. Especially if it's p155ing it down. To be honest I'd not be very comfortable having my kids in the back of a 3dr if I had an accident either.

Which is why we have a Grand Picasso for the family and I don't have any sticky fingers on my S3 windows!

Seriously good opportunity to explain the virtues of an RS4 avant though...

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS by the way! Maybe I'll post some baby paraphernalia in the classifieds section.

Nogaro S3

Status
    Ha ha thanks on for the advice and congratulations

I have been offered a swap for a pd115 bora, looks nice but it's mapped to 130 so will feel slow in comparison, anyone fancy swapping there five door for my three door lol?

I want to stick with a VAG car and I now believe a five door may be best, not completely convinced because I love my a3 to bits but it could be a good opportunity to get somthing a little quicker lol

2nd Gear

Status
    I reckon a bora at 130 would be fine, it's all torque anyway. I'd swap
    Seriously though, if you love your car that much you'll make it happen, not as if your going to be living in it, but that's just me, I'd have the car that pleases me and worry about the "little things" after.

Cheers Kai

3rd Gear

Status
    Mine is due next week! And I bought my 3dr only 3 weeks ago!
    I just tell her - we use her car for the baby..

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    well my missus is a child minder and she has a new shape beetle 2009. She gets 1 baby and 2 toddlers in her car with 2 prams and all the gear in the boot. its possible and she does it daily without any back problems and her car is smaller in the back and the boot is smaller too.

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Firstly congrats...

I have an S3 and I am pleased with it, having a 3door has its benefits, mainly being that you can fold the front seat down and actually stand in front of the seat in the back if that makes sense?

In a 4/5 door, you can only get in from the side, which I have found to be quite awkward.

The S3 boot is slightly smaller than the A3 one as well, however we always managed to get a Quinny Buzz 3 in ( we did have to clip the wheels on and off), but it went in easily and also had room for shopping and even a couple of the small trolley suitcases if we needed.

I am happy with it and will try and hold onto it for as long as possible, I even told the missus I wanted to sell up last week and get a Mk2 VR6 and she was like we aint getting rid of the S3!!

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Why dont you just get a 5dr a3 ?
    Audi A3 T sport (8l) AUM 2001..... Stage 1 Remap , Bailey DV30 , HID Headlights , LED Sidelights/Footwells , Catch Can , N249 Bypass , Tinted Windows .....

Howdy

Status
    Congrats Danny!

I drove an MG Midget daily for 9 years in all weathers (no kids though!), so my opinion on practicalities should probably be ignored. So just congrats!

(5 door A3 or LCR)
    2001 Audi RS4 2.7 Bi-Turbo - Nogaro Blue

1975 MG Midget 1500 - Tahiti Blue

2003 Audi S3 - Dolphin Grey; SOLD!