No haldex and no codes

ian52

2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow
Reaction score
I have looked at the plug to see if its corroded and its good,scanned with vag-com and get no codes. Where do i start looking from here? Im going to do the oil and filter as i recently bought the car. Could it be the pump?

I had a look for this as well and my car doesnt appear to have one. Its a pre facelift car. Im sure others have said they dont have it too.

I'm sure the haldex pump does not leave fault codes. Gets clogged with oil and stops working. I'd say it's the pump.

Should you hear the pump running at start up or anything? Any idea if its an easy enough job to change?

Not yet but i will be shortly.

Do a filter and Oil change on the Haldex and give the connector plug a good clean as they can corrode and you my well sort it. I had a similar problem for 3 days last winter, but fingers crossed no issues since. pre-faclifts seem to not have the earth strap

My money would be on the Earthing strap as Dave said. unfortunately nobody has been able to identify this in the past when we've discussed it. I've had mine replaced and the only new shiney thing I could see near the haldex was a metal plate and looked nothing like what you'd expect a "strap" to look like.

I'll try and get a part number from the parts catalogue later.

Yeah i couldnt see any earth strap like any pictures i have seen. With no haldex the car is useless in the wet. Should be about 260bhp FWD, it just spinns everywhere! Even in the dry its interesting.