Folks who have done the EVAP removal...

aragorn

"Stick a V8 in it!"
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I've been reading some (american) guides as i want to try and simplify the bay a little, but i've reached a point where common sense stops agreeing with he americans.

At the moment i've got the line from the carbon can coming out of the wing, which travels to the N80, then into a Y piece and off thru some check valves to the TIP and Inlet manifold.

The plan is to remove the N80, and the lines to the inlet, which will nicely declutter things.

What did you do with the tank vent line?

Some of the american guides suggest that i remove the carbon canister itself and cap off the vent line to the tank, but this seems completely stupid to me. The tank vent line is there to allow the tank to breathe. It allows air back into the tank as the fuel level drops, and it lets vapour out of the tank when it heats up and expands.

My current thoughts therefore are to either leave the carbon can inplace, and route the outlet that previously went to the N80 down underneath the car, or to remove the carbon can, and directly route the tank vent line somewhere it can breathe but cant get full of debris.

Just trying to see what others did.

I did it Saturday :)

Cannister out, vent i exteneded up to behind the drivers headlight to eliminate smells which over the weekend in huge heat at Shakey i didnt smell any extra fumes than i normally get. Vac pipe from inlet to Y piece to TIP i completely removed (Y piece was already removed as you know from our other discussion). Plugged inlet and plugged TIP.

Also speaking to my friend with an S14a about his Evap removed he just bunged up the vent completely and removed everything. Think thats what most do on the SX side of the world and doesnt cause issues. Thats a track car too.

Yeh the point is that just because some muppets have blocked it all up without properly considering what they're doing and its "working" doesnt mean its good.

You'll pull a vacuum inside the tank as the level drops and the air will start seeping past seals and making the fuel pump work harder. That could lead to the failure of brittle 10-15 year old seals, failure of the pump itself or fuel flow problems.

ELSA suggests that models in certain countries get an extra valve mounted above the tank which allows pressure equalisation should the main breather become blocked, but its not standard fit.

As a test, I disconnected the vent from the N80 at the weekend, left if dangling beside the N80 and drove around some. I noticed that with the window down i was often getting whiffs of fuel vapour, but couldnt smell anything with it up. I had no smells at all before i disconnected the pipe, so its fair to say the smell was coming from there. I'm thinking that so long as the pipes venting under the car rather than up in the engine bay the smell shouldnt be an issue, but i'm not sure about removing the whole canister.

I done mine at the weekend too I just removed the can and extended the tube 6 inches and vented it out through the same hole the cannister was using in the wheel arch then left the left the sensor plugged in and hid it as best I can!
I removed all the unwanted hoses and plugged the tip
Happy days

I'm in the same position - I removed the charcoal canister and I get a lot of fuel smells, so I'm going to put the canister back in, but the other pipe work can do one!

aaron, didnt take any pics of how your setup ended up did you?
Here's a pic of the tube venting out the wheel arch
5632a9f1.jpg

Can't find my keys so can't show you the bay yet

Cool, i'll give that a try then, either routing it right up the front or dropping it down the wheel arch and venting out the bottom.

Might have to see about an ICM delete too to really tidy up that area!

Cheers guys!