Help

Graham Black

Reaction score
Today I had to swerve to avoid an old guy driving into the driver side of my car.

I hit a big kerb with the front left (almost face on but with the steering pointing right (wheel approx 45degrees to the right). I broke off a good section of the alloy rim but tyre was ok and didnt go flat. Pulled over because noise to start with sounded liek I had just popped tyre.

Severe grating sound when driving straight and steering left, goes away as I steer right. When driving straight I had to keep wheel at almost 30-45degree steer to left, steering left was very light and not responsive, steering right was very very heavy and again not very responsive.

Upon inspection, front of car when looking at it wheels were like this I _ / (quite obviously aswell). Changed the wheel for the spare and limped car up to a family friend's garage and have left it there. He's not going to get to look at it until later in week. Any ideas what ive managed to break? Had a look and nothing obviously hanging off but that was just with car on jack as i put spare on.

Thanks,

Graham

Porbly shagged wheel bearing, track rod end/track rod, poibbly damaged steering rack, hard to say though without looking.

2 years ago I managed to slide on some black ice into a kerb at a very similar angle to you. Was only going about 20mph but knocked the N/S front wheel out of alignment and I had to steer left by about 5 mins on the clock to keep the car pointing straight. Upon inspection I'd bent the wishbone, steering arm & damaged the mounting point into the front sub-frame. Had to replace wheel, whishbone, steering arm and front sub-frame unfortunately. Thankfully the steering rack & wheel bearing were undamaged. 1st insurance claim I've had in my driving history but at least I didn't hit anybody or anything. Hope you manage to sort it out. Did the old guy stop?

cheers for infor guys, sounds like i feared, nah, not sure he even knew what had just happened. All I got was it was a silver saloon, was too busy trying to avoid the parked car and pull over to take regi lol. Just had a text from my mechanic, he's going to have a look tomorrow for me and let me know what the damage is before I decide what to do. Its a W-reg though, so probs only about 3k book, In a way I think i'm hoping Ive done the whole front end steering rack and write it off and get the new shape one tbh. Always a bit suspicious once something like this has happened to a car, they never feel "right" again. Have been thinking about gettin new loan anyway so maybe a sign. Still gutting though cos even though its jus clocked 110000, It passed mot only needing "legal" number plates earlier this month. And yeh, thankfully no-one was nearby to get hit.

Sorry to hear mate, i once did a similar thing! But i understeered into a curb, bent my front hub, wishbon etc.. basically i replaced the whole lot of that side inc suspension. but that was on a ford! Just get it checked out... heres a pic of my wishbone:

image010yq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Yeh thanks, heard back today, need a wheel, hub, upright and wishbone all with joints and sensors intact. Managed to source all from local salvage yard for under £200 so quite happy. Have been toying with idea of selling in spring anyways so at least it will get me through until then. Then can't decide wether to go new shape S3 or older S4. will need to have a think.