Monster MotorsportJMB Retrofits
    Drive it like you stole it

Status

Question Service Display Reset

Hi guys,

I know this must come up a lot, but I've been Googleing and running out to my car for the past hour and a half... I'm trying to reset the "SERVICE" display which comes up (along with some beeps) every time I start the car. I've just serviced it myself, assuming I'd be able to reset it using the dash buttons as described in the Haynes manual (book of lies).

My car is a 2002 (52) Audi A3 1.8T Sport 8L. The dash has two buttons; left one is clock adjuster (it can be pulled, pushed and rotated a quarter turn left or right) and the right one is trip reset (which can only be pushed, NOT pulled or rotated).

So far I have tried:

Switch the car off > Press & hold right button > Switch ignition on (but not start it) - Nothing happens.

Switch car off > Press & hold right button > Rotate left button clockwise - Nothing happens

Switch car off > Press & hold both buttons > Switch ignition on - Nothing happens

Switch car off > Pull left button > Nothing happens

I really hope someone might have the answer to this because I'm about ready to blow my brains out! It was supposed to save me a bit of money servicing it myself, but it'll be a total waste if I need to go get it done at a garage so they can reset the light with Vagcom ='(

Cheers all,

Andy
    '52 A3 1.8T AUM

2. # ADS
    ADS

The stigs ugly brother

Status
    Hi mate put the gun down lol sadley i do think its a vag com issue, try askin a local garage to turn it off as it should be a 2min job. Id suggest its worth goin the garage just to get the stamp in the book as re- sale will be harder without fsh.

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    I've just had to reset mine using vagcom...

Ill see if i can find the steps for you
    Audi A3 T sport (8l) AUM 2001..... Stage 1 Remap , Bailey DV30 , HID Headlights , LED Sidelights/Footwells , Catch Can , N249 Bypass , Tinted Windows .....

2nd Gear

Status
    Hi, I've always followed this: Ignition off, press and hold down trip button, turn clock knob clockwise and display will show "---" I've always stopped there but the manual says "depress the clock reset knob as required to alternate between individual services, however, do not zero the display otherwise incorrect readings will be shown." - All done with the ignition off.

Status
    So "Ignition off" would mean turning the key all the way anti-clockwise after the engine has been running? I would count that as position 0, right?
    '52 A3 1.8T AUM

2nd Gear

Status
    Yes from memory it's done with it off, all the way anti clockwise. Maybe even with key out I can't remember. Try both maybe?
    Last edited by a3tdi2001; 1st October 2011 at 00:37.

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    it's easy, and takes about 10 seconds tops. No need for vagcom at all.

From memory, with everything off, press and hold the right stick, and switch ignition on, then pull the left stick, and it all clears.

it's exactly as it says in the haynes book!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

2nd Gear

Status
    Berkshire, Surry, Hampshire tri-intersect
    not being funny guys, it actually tells you exactly how to do this in the owners manual...

Status
    I do appreciate the constructive comments, but VAG-Slag, it's pretty clear you couldn't be bothered to read the original post. If that's the case, don't bother replying because it makes you look like a tool.
    '52 A3 1.8T AUM

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    it's easy, and takes about 10 seconds tops. No need for vagcom at all.

From memory, with everything off, press and hold the right stick, and switch ignition on, then pull the left stick, and it all clears.

it's exactly as it says in the haynes book!
    I've jus tyres this an to my surprise it doesn't work , but I did set my clock lol , I just put my key in the ignition held the right button then turned the key so my ignitions on ( lights on the dash ) an the pulled the left button an all tht happens is my clock an date flashes enabling me to set it ,

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available
    FOR SALE
    Sparco Torino 2 sport seats, None resonated Milltek exhaust,
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

2nd Gear

Status
    Berkshire, Surry, Hampshire tri-intersect
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Tomlin View Post
    I do appreciate the constructive comments, but VAG-Slag, it's pretty clear you couldn't be bothered to read the original post. If that's the case, don't bother replying because it makes you look like a tool.
    Hold on a second!? . . Just seen this.
    I definitely did bother to read the original post (just have again) and it definitely doesn't say anything about you reading and following the instructions in the Owners Manual... I therefore deem you Sir, the tool...

Ok, rant over, two year old beef dealt with, thread may continue Unless you would also like to call the helpful chap who just posted a scan of the page from the Owners Manual a tool?

6th Gear

Status
    I just hit the service reset on vcds applications, voila, job done!
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*