• 1 litre or under

4 12.12%
  • over 1 litre

5 15.15%
    TFSI Hybrid

Status

How much oil does your vehicle consume?

Mine does around a litre at average milage

If your car is unused dont bother voting...
    Last edited by s3dave; 30th September 2011 at 20:23.

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    I think its important to relate oil consumption to mileage rather than time, a car that does 20000 miles a year is going to use more than one doping 5000 mile a years, this comparison whilst interesting is actually meaningless from an analitical stand point
    1999 Audi S3 Superchips remap, Forge 007p, Phatnoise, Black Diamond Discs & DS2500 pads, N249 Deleted, Badger 5 TIP, Poly dogbone bush, Bilstein B8's and Eibach Springs.

1986 Audi Coupe Quattro 2.2 restoration project

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sportquattro View Post
    I think its important to relate oil consumption to mileage rather than time, a car that does 20000 miles a year is going to use more than one doping 5000 mile a years, this comparison whilst interesting is actually meaningless from an analitical stand point
    Agreed but im not sending the results to a lab, just a bit of fun really,...and people can comment on there vote...

Brum brum

Status
    In all seriousness, I don't think I've ever topped it up between services - and that's in 7.5 years of ownership. I do around 8000 miles a year and it now gets serviced once a year. I do check the level every month or so, but it's always been well above the min level.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    pretty irrelavent pole really, mileage would be far more sensible!

I voted anyway, I do maybe 30k a year, and use WELL over 1 litre of oil. Mind you, I change my oil probably 4 times in that 30k too,

For interesting reference, VAG seem to think it's acceptable for the 2.0 TDI engines to use 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

2nd Gear

Status
    Just about nothing! Never need to top up with 10k oil changes
    '01 AMK, completely standard except for the Ambient Lighting Pack.

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    pretty irrelavent pole really, mileage would be far more sensible!

I voted anyway, I do maybe 30k a year, and use WELL over 1 litre of oil. Mind you, I change my oil probably 4 times in that 30k too,

For interesting reference, VAG seem to think it's acceptable for the 2.0 TDI engines to use 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles!
    Chill read post 3 ...
    Im not suprised at your interesting reference to be honest the amount of soot they kick out.....

thats me

Status
    think mine used to use some but that might have been 0w now use 5w and it hardly uses any but I do change my oil yearly at about 3000 miles lol
    red to red black to black blue to bits

1st Gear

Status
    My A3 Tsport hardly uses a drop of its 5-40 oil with 129k, city driving maybe something to do with it as 99% of the time ever going over 4k or 40mph.
    Audi A3 1.8T AUM Sport with more doors.

ptr
    1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    I was told by Audi that using up to 1L of oil per 1000 miles was normal for my '99 A3 1.6, a petrol! Turned out there was a leak at the filter seal.

2nd Gear

Status
    mine used to use about 1L for every 1k miles but since i replaced the chain tensioner gasket its now minimal loss of oil

5th Gear

Status
    I service mine twice a year and do about 8000 mile I did use to top up alot when my turbo bearings went but now for the last 5 month not done it's once
    350bhp & 316ftlb BBT new k16 7+7 blade hybrid turbo, Welly cooler, jetex filter, relentless ported v3 manifold 3" downpipe & de-cat, liquid gauge, r32 rear arb, AGU ported and polished Head, 550cc injectors, kw v2 Coilovers, s3dave tie bars & heat sheild, milltek cat back, I.E forged rods, brembos, inline fuel pump, v3 badger 5 tip, devils own WMI kit, AGU pistons, rear grooved discs & brembo pads, ds2500 pads & EBC ultimax disc, stack boost gauge

1st Gear

Status
    I've covered 6000 miles in mine now and it hasn't used a drop!
    2003-03 8L S3 Dolphin grey - Porsche 996 calipers - Mo-vit 325mm 2 piece front discs - 15mm spacers all round - Miltek resonated cat back - Genuine RS4's - Vredestein Sessanta's - Forge 007p - Forge TIP - JR cone filter - Poweflex diesel dog bone bush - AMD Remap - Blue Haldex controller - FK AK Coilovers - Seat Leon Cupra R top mounts - 8P S3 gear knob and gaitor - TT pedals - Neuspeed quick shift - LED number plate bulbs

14.2 quarter @ 97 mph

Power? 241 bhp with a boost leak, now fixed

Neutral

Status
    20,000 miles this year one change after 11,000 then 1 top up of about 3/4 liter i reckon it depends on the journy length as well short sharp blast to nearby work or shops while fairly cold will use more oil than a fully warmed up car on a long run
    1992 Cavalier SRi 8V RIP
    2002 Mondeo ST TDCi Good riddance!
    2000 A3 8L 17" Ronal TT, -45mm, LCR Splitter, Matt Black Badging, Soon to attempt Lamin-x headlight tints

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Ive noticed since the catch can mod it seems to be using more, but thats proberbly due to the oil not getting diluted with all the crap...

5th Gear

Status
    I do about 13k a year and service it a couple of times a year, rarely have to top up between services.

colicabcadam
    about 100ml every 1,800 for me

1st Gear

Status
    Haven't needed to top mine up in ~12k

Probably worth checking more frequently! Normally get it replaced every 10k but that was when I did european roadtrips and trackdays. Sadly I haven't done either in the last 12 months
    2001 (Y) Audi S3 AMK | Forge 007p | H&R ARBs | Powerflex Bushes All Round | Badger5 3" TIP & Jetex JR Filter | R-Tech Stage 1 Map | Brembo 4-Pot Callipers (Monoblock from Clio 197) with Ferodo DS2500 & EBC Ultimax Discs | N249 Bypass | Milltek Cat Back Non-Res Special Tips

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Most manufacturers use the 1L in 1k miles figure as a general getout for new engines that arent quite as oil tight as they should be.

I typically change my oil every 5k.

On our old FWD 1.8T with 200k on the clock i'd need to add about a litre or so half way thru the change interval, and by the time it was ready to get dropped out it would be nearing the minimum again. so thats ~1-1.5L per 2500miles.

On our avant (120k) it barely moves, and i've never had to top it up between changes, even with its slightly weepy rocker cover and cam tensioner seals.

Saloons engines just been rebuilt, so it'd hope it uses none, but i've not looked recently. I should probably check it before next trip north, but it has a level sensor which should shout at me if theres a problem :P

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

6th Gear

Status
    Its not just the manufacturers that quote that. We had a rep come in from shell listing the importances of oil changes, grades of oil and what it means and the benifit of the more expensive oils to some of the motorfactor oils. Shell themselves quote the 1L per 1000miles too. He also said obviously it depends on the driving circumstances ie what type you do, motorway fast driving, or slow town driving and also if you tend to have a heavy foot or drive like a granny everywhere.

So everyone that might have a dealing with oil will probably just use that to cover their ass if the cars drinking oil and the customer gets worried and starts demanding warranty work on faults that may not be there on newer cars.

The Jaguar XKR before the newest model has a message in the handbook saying you`ll need to top up the oil more often than you normally would in other cars inbetween services and when i worked at a Jag dealership one guy didnt take any notice off it and just left it until the service light came on and continued to rag it about burning off oil. Car came in on the back of a transporter with a seized engine due to oil starvation and got blagged on warranty.

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    I top up about a litre a month, i use 10w40 Castrol Magnatec, however I think my valve stem seals may need changing soon, so this may counter the high usage, also I do 1-1500 miles per month.