Replacing bose speakers - need help

s3withproblems

Reaction score
Hello all
Does anybody know the specifications of 2001 s3 front bose speakers ??(Watt etc ..) I want to replace them with an aftermarket one coz one is broken and makes a bad sound and bose is very expensive. Any advice ?

As HTC says they are 2 ohm but you can get away with replacing them with 4 ohm components, you'll just need to fade to the front a bit more. They are also 4" mid woofers with 1" tweeters and are mounted on a 3 point fixing so you need adapter rings in order to fit anything. I know "coajt" on here is selling his Bose speakers from his A3 so you could PM him to get working replacements.
The power is not an issue as no one makes speakers that feeble.

Thanks
So what I need is to search for speakers with 2ohm impedance(Whats that ?) Excuse my ignorance but I knew that "watts" was the unit for the power of speakers.

Impedance is the load the speaker presents to the amp. The lower the impedance then the more efficient the power to load ratio, so with 2 ohm rather than 4 ohm speakers you can get more power from a smaller amp. However the amp has to be able to handle a 2 ohm load, which the Bose amp obviously can. This is usually used in sub woofers, which can be wired for 2 or 4 ohm to get more power. You can put a higher impedance speaker on the same amp, but it won't be as loud. There are very few aftermarket speakers rated at 2 ohm as 4 ohm is the norm. There are some about, but remember to get components with a separate tweeter, this will improve the sound no end as the Bose system uses the standard non Bose tweeter in the setup which is really low grade.
This guy below has done it:
Replaced Bose for 4 ohm Kenwoods

But After reading the comments, they say if I replace them with 4ohm aftermarket speakers, I have the danger to blow the Amp in loud music.. What am I gonna do ? Is it hard to find these 2 ohms aftermarket? I asked some places all they have is the 4's.

I doubt it, the amp will be distorting to b*ggery before it'll let go.
Image Dynamics do all their component speakers in 2 or 4 ohm impedance.
Image Dynamics

Not sure who distributes them in the UK though.

Hi all, does anybody know if I can fit 6 1/2" speakers on the front doors with
the AndyMac's spacers that HTC posted?

Thank you

No you can't the door pocket is in the way and you wouldn't have enough depth anyway unless they were extremely slim (60mm deep).