Scraping Sound :-(

A3 T

Lord Of The Rings
Reaction score
Today i floored the car a bit (something i never do through fear of something going bang....lol) and i heard a sort of scraping sound , a bit like an after market exhaust that had been fitted bad and was scraping over a speed bump.

It only happened while i was accelerating at high revs/speed.

At the time i thought it was coming from the back but there is a chance it was from the front......lol

Any ideas ?

Is the car lowered? If so by how much and what size wheels are you running?

Mines lowered all the way down at the rear and about 10mm to go on the front. My guess is it could possibly be the 4 threads that your centre exhaust support bolts to. They're the lowest point on my car and are about an inch long roughly, however, mine are now about half an inch long due to scraping every now and again :happy:

Best thing to do is to park on smooth, flat ground and get down next to your car and have a look underneath at any potential points where it could have scraped I.e the lowest points on your car.

Hope this helps

Thanks mate but......

My cars not been lowered :(

Sounds to me like you got wheels spin and the traction control kicked in... But tough to diagnose over the Internet...

I wish i could give you more info guys but it went a bit like.....

put my foot down, revs picked up , heard the scraping sound , come off the accelerator , sound went , back on the accelerator, heard the sound again, took it easy the rest of the way home and not heard it since....lol

I had a similar sound on my mondeo which turned out to be the cam belt roller but when i went high rpm and lifted off it stayed there till 5500rpm. yours stops when you come off. have you checked your bay for anything loose?

I've got this problem. Rather than creating a new thread... I thought I'd search and resurrect one!
I have isolated my problem to the the front left passenger side/near the wheel.

The same problems... under acceleration as described above.
Tried changing the wheel bearings, cv boot intact, suspension/trailer arms in good condition as well...

BUT... it has got louder and louder... it started like a low noise scrape... now it's just louder. It sounds more like two brake discs just rubbing against each other kind of scrape. Brakes are all good too though.

The local mech. thinks it is something to do with the remap but it started before the remap and has got progressively worse.

exhaust shield rubbing on drive shaft?? im going to put the car on a ramp, raise it up and check it out in a few weeks..