Knackered engine mount?!

essee

Reaction score
Got a hell of a squeaking when I stick her in reverse and lift off a little with the handbrake on. Plus, driving along through the gears as normal, but lift off the throttle in 3rd in the high revs and the whole car shudders until I change up... must be the engine mounts, right?

Shudders is the wrong word, more like jerks!

Never heard of that happening to an A3/S3 before? Could it be something more simple? Doesn't sound good anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyone had experience of this kind of thing?

not heard of it on an A3/S3 yet but have seen it a few times - the car seems to lurch off the mark a bit. You could find a pal and pop the bonnet, then get him to watch the engine as you try to move off with the handbrake on and see if the engine 'lifts'. You may need to be a bit heavy with the throttle and quick with the clutch, just make sure you dont leap foward and knock your (ex?)pal over /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actua;;ly i have heard of 1 case of an S3 having its mounts replaced coz the rubber in them had failed for some unknown German reason ! There are 3 mounts to look out for:
There are 2 either side of the of the engine ie 1 on each side and the 3rd is under the car which is more of a gearbox mount which is designed to supress gearbox movement.
Check if u can for perished rubbers if u can even manage to see them which i doubt judging by how well they are covered.