Service time! What do you use?

Roo2000

Reaction score
I don't post here that much but I do visit for advice from time to time and usually find what I'm looking for with no need to post.
So just incase I havn't posted before...... Hello to everyone. :)

I'm sure there must be a thread on here similar to what I'm about to write but I'm damned if I can find it.

So here goes,
It's that time of year again for me and she's due a service, no I don't mean Mrs Roo I mean my 2000 1.8T AGU A3.

I just wondered what everybody used?

I've been googling about and it seems a lot of people recommend Fully synthetic 10w40 for their oil.

Is this right?
I'm sure I stuck semi synthetic Magnetic in last time so your thoughts are appreciated.

Also what would people recommend to flush or even would people recommend a flush (some do some dont)?

Last time I used Wynns but this time I've ordered Liqui Moly flush.

Is Liqui Moly any good or should I stay away?

I'm ok with my plugs as I've ordered some bosch super 4's which I've used for years on both my A3 and my old MK2 golf when I was younger.

Looking forward to the opinions.

Hi,

I've got the 1.8T too and I use Semi Syn 10W-40. I tend to go for a general brand of motor oil as opposed to the branded thinner better quality grade oil.
My choice for this is that it is an old engine with high miles, the thicker oil tends to lubricate the parts better that have warn down slightly. I also do an oil change every other month to keep it all fresh, £30 for oil and filters plus 30 minutes up on axel stands does the job for me!

I have always used 10w40 Magnatec in mine as well....I have been advised that 5w40 should or can be used as well.

I use Forte engine flush, find it the best of the bunch. The trick is to let it drain overnight if possible to make sure you get as much muck out as possible.

I had my sump changed and that got rid of loads of muck. Iv asked my mechanic about engine flush and he always says dont bother. Oh and Ads_a3 whats the benifit of changing the oil so often? I do mine at about 10k and the oil still looked clean on the dipstick. Any suggestions on spark plugs whilst im here?lol.

Warm engine
Forte engine flush - 30 mins idle
Drain - 10-15 mins
OEM oil filter
Good quality 5w40 FULLY synthetic oil (my preference is Motul)

5w40 fully synth Quantum oil from Main dealer or TPS. Also using the engine flushes are never really recommended over around 80k as it tends to remove all the crap thats currently filling various holes in your engine so flushing them out can end up in leaks. But its users choice at the end of the day.

Last edited:
5w40 fully syth Quantum oil from Main dealer or TPS. Also using the engine flushes are never really recommended over around 80k as it tends to remove all the crap thats currently filling various holes in your engine so flushing them out can end up in leaks. But its users choice at the end of the day.

as above for me also

Interesting.
I'm right in thinking if I start to use fully synthetic I can't go back?

Still not sure which oil to do yet, she's coming up to the 200k mark and still going strong.

I have decided to flush tho, my theory being if there is sludge blocking a leak there is nothing to stop it being dislodged in the future anyway and I'd like to get as much sludge and rubbish out as possible.
I now have everything but the oil.
Fuel filter was disgusting and I changed it the service before last around 2 years ago. :s