clutch and flywheel collapse

egesford

Reaction score
thanks to everyone who replied to my earlier threads! much appreciated. After lots of head scratching problem turned out to be the dual mass flywheel collapsed, destroying the clutch at the same time.
I have found a clutch/flywheel kit on ebay for £150: Audi A3 TT 1.8 T 1.9 TDi Flywheel, Clutch, Cylinder 96- | eBayas anyone got any experience of these, are they worth getting or should i just fork out for a VAG one?
Also my mechanic is concerned that there are many different sizes of clutch for these? is this right? i thought it was a simple matter of checking my registration number against the database?
cheers

it would probably be worth you saying what your car is so we can give you advice on what you need to buy mate!

from the ebay link you posted, I'll assume it's a 5 speed 1.8T A3.

If that's the case, then what you need, is a mk3 golf 2.0 16v flywheel, from an ABF engine, and the 6 bolts that hold it to the crank.

Then you'll need a clutch kit from a mk3 golf VR6, engine code AAA.

These will fit your 1.8T engine and 02J gearbox, and give you a clutch capable of holding 300lbft, a ligther pedal feel, and a ligther rotating mass giving better pick up and acceleration.

I paid about £160 for a brand new flywheel from TPS, and £90 for a clutch kit from GSF

it would probably be worth you saying what your car is so we can give you advice on what you need to buy mate!

from the ebay link you posted, I'll assume it's a 5 speed 1.8T A3.

If that's the case, then what you need, is a mk3 golf 2.0 16v flywheel, from an ABF engine, and the 6 bolts that hold it to the crank.

Then you'll need a clutch kit from a mk3 golf VR6, engine code AAA.

These will fit your 1.8T engine and 02J gearbox, and give you a clutch capable of holding 300lbft, a ligther pedal feel, and a ligther rotating mass giving better pick up and acceleration.

I paid about £160 for a brand new flywheel from TPS, and £90 for a clutch kit from GSF

i got a 2003 S3 and my clutch is going . what is the best to fit in its place ,its remapped and i would rather stick better bits back in than standard ones

i got a 2003 S3 and my clutch is going . what is the best to fit in its place ,its remapped and i would rather stick better bits back in than standard ones
I'm using a helix paddle clutch, it's heavy as **** but damn you can give some serious abuse

just had a valeo clutch fitted and changed to a solid mass flywheel, car actually drives much smoother now and is just as quick as it was before. car is
a tdi 110
total cost was 456.49 including recovery, parts and labour so not too bad i thought

I've just fitted the valeo solid flywheel kit to my A3.

about £180 for the kit and £120 for fitting so £300 all in :)