Pet hate's

liquids3

Reaction score
Il start it of!,60 percent of cyclest's on are roads can keep close enough to the curb and give way to cars,but 40 percent normally in there full licra suits think they can ride in the middle of the road and take the **** (without paying road tax),just ****'s me of because normaly you get stuck behind the person who is scared to overtake because the bike thinks its a car,ok thats better!!!!!!

Lol I hate that too! They ride in packs and don't move over feel to buy a ****ter n gently knock em into shape

I'm a cyclist myself and absolutely hate the ones who cycle more than one abreast. Then there are those who think they're in the peloton at the Tour de France, muppets. I like to ease past them, pull back in front of them whilst keeping a safe distance, select first gear and proceed to clear the lungs of the old diesel engine:)

Reactions: liquids3
I'm a cyclist, lycra clad and all, I purposefully ride about 3 feet from the curb so when someone overtakes way too close I have room to swerve. I used to ride nearer the curb to make it easier for drivers to pass until someone clipped me with a wing mirror, my front tyre touched the curb and I went down.

There's also loads of road grit and crap close to the curb and on skinny road tyres they're a common cause for punctures.

On club rides we cycle two abreast when we're on rural roads but always go single file when we hear a car coming up behind us, we'll also pull in for lorries or other large vehicles that struggle to overtake safely.

Road tax doesn't exist anymore...

Road tax doesn't exist. It's car tax, a tax on cars and other vehicles, not a tax on roads or a fee to use them. Motorists do not pay directly for the roads. Roads are paid for via general and local taxation. In 1926, Winston Churchill started the process to abolish road tax. It was finally culled in 1937. Car tax is based on amount of CO2 emitted so, if a fee had to be paid, cyclists would pay the same as 'tax-dodgers' such as disabled drivers, police officers, the Royal family, and band A motorists, ie £0.

Not looking to start an argument or derail the thread :)

Pet hate in the car is people following too close when you're at or over the limit, overtake or f*ck off.

well said
but i still hate all bike except motorbikes
and if i had my way you would pay bike tax and insurance

I agree
- Horsie people who think they own the world, give you the filthiest look for actually being in a car on the road. I wonder if I rode a motorcycle and took a poo on the road every few miles whether it would be acceptable?
- Middle lane drivers, although this quite often amuses me as well.
- My biggest gripe, people that dont indicate, seems to be, the more costly the car the less they indicate.

Nice topic, I feel better already.

Cheers Kai

Wel we still pay to put are cars on the road,i.e insurance,and we still pay road tax to be on the road that's my point!,and ive never seen a bike pull over in my life,just swearing at people beacuse they want to take up the road at 2mph!,not having ago but thats the risk on british roads, even if your further out in the road does'nt meen you can avoid accidents,thats mad,people are more likely to clip you further out!

thats mad,people are more likely to clip you further out!
I've found that riding further out, they're less likely to try and squeeze past, they tend to only overtake when safe and there's enough room. To be honest, I live in London and on flat ground I can ride at 25-30mph so overtaking isn't too big a concern.

Back on topic...

I don't understand people who insist on driving in the middle lane of a motorway at 70mph regardless of what traffic is like. Do they not realise they're doing something wrong when they're constantly being undertaken and overtaken at the same time!? Drives me insane!!

Sunday drivers, caravans, lorrys, cyclist (when two abreast) coffin doggers (when driving) Horsies (should be in a field or green lane)
Genrely anything thats going slower than me lol

I don't understand people who insist on driving in the middle lane of a motorway at 70mph regardless of what traffic is like. Do they not realise they're doing something wrong when they're constantly being undertaken and overtaken at the same time!? Drives me insane!!
I drive for a living and see this consistently, it's becoming more and more frequent, the reason it amuses me every now and then is because half these people are oblivious, they're tailgated, flashed, cut up and sworn at but they have no idea, very odd.

Kai

I don't understand people who insist on driving in the middle lane of a motorway at 70mph regardless of what traffic is like. Do they not re alise they're doing something wrong when they're constantly being undertaken and overtaken at the same time!? Drives me insane!![/QU OTE]. Wel in london when you are riding quicker than the trafic fair enough,i feel for you when cars dont get out of the way for you, not 60mph roads dangerous!,ive came round bends doing 60mph and theres a bike doing 5mph in the midddle of the road,lucky to be alive!,and yes i think people should learn how to drive on motorways on there driveing test more!,if they drove in france they would learn,they push you out the way!

Last edited:
What's this got to do with an 8L A3 or S3? Don't we have a rant/rave section in the forum for this?

Oh, and the cyclists are ****s has been covered several times already.

What's this got to do with an 8L A3 or S3? Don't we have a rant/rave section in the forum for this?

Oh, and the cyclists are ****s has been covered several times already.
Did'nt know there was one!

Apostrophe misuse is one of my pet hates... ;)

People not indicating at roundabouts really annoys me, even more than cyclists. If you drive a decent car it's just a quick blast around them!

Apostrophe misuse is one of my pet hates... ;)

People not indicating at roundabouts really annoys me, even more than cyclists. If you drive a decent car it's just a quick blast around them!
True and trafic lights at roundabouts what people can't pull out without a light telling them when to!

People who clearly think their car is 19 metres wide, it shows just how dangerous a driver they are and that they can't judge jack ****.

Horses on roads, its 2011 ***! Not 1853!

People who think in order to take an exit on a roundabout thats more than 180degrees to them, they must go round the outside lane, cutting people off who are in the inside and exitting as they should

people over 60 should retake a basic but purposeful test.

I don't think this website has enough bandwidth for me to list all my pet hates so ill just say a couple of them....lol

When people park in the middle of the road to pick someone up , but think t ok as long as they have their hazard lights on.

Cyclists that go through red lights.

People always ask me "what's your pet hate?"

Well, he doesn't like it if you put things up his bum.

People who stop in the middle of the road to use their mobile phone. Probably more dangerous than using it whilst driving.

One of my pet hate is drivers that don't bother to look or indicate when they pull out

Here's one from two weeks ago who just blindly drifts into the main road and apart from a light tap on the brakes as she approaches, doesn't slow down enough to look both ways, then just swings out

SMIDSY CF54UWV - YouTube

When asked about her actions it was the usual "I didn't see you", because the truth "I didn't look, I've done this lots of times and there's never anyone coming" isn't something she'd admit to.

Then there's this one, parked half on the pavement who lets go of the brakes and sets off just as the cyclist is curving in. Yes, he does here the "wait" exclamation this time, but treats it as a personal offence and drives closely behind, half on the road, half on the pavement. Does he pay pavement tax?

NC53BOV: "try your best" - YouTube

As you can see, when the driver does get a chance to overtake he does it, and that audi does have good acceleration despite it being an automatic.

But
-does it have the ground clearance to drive half along the pavement and half on the road? I've lost an oil sump once and as well as being messy, you are usually left somewhere you don't want to be waiting 3 days for a replacement.
-was that overtake safe or productive, given it's a 20mph zone, there's a zebra crossing ahead, and that little rat run he's entering doesn't go anywhere fast.]

You can complain about bicycles being in the way, but the other view is that everyone has to look, and trying to drive fast round a city in the UK is a losing battle. It's not the bicycles, it's not even the cars in the middle lane or the lorries in the slow lane, its just the sheer volume of traffic. Oh, and the taxi drivers stopped alongside each other to talk about which greasy cafe they'll go to later and the random delivery van driver who couldn't be bothered to pull over so just stops in the middle of a lane.

Wel on The first video the cyclest obveously is'nt useing cycle lanes so he would get abuse!,i dont give cyclests abuse but both partys are to blame!,cycle lane use it!

People who tend to drive at 35-40 in a 60. Then you overtake them when it's safe to do so and you get them flashing their headlights at you!! WTF???

Wel on The first video the cyclest obveously is'nt useing cycle lanes so he would get abuse!,i dont give cyclests abuse but both partys are to blame!,cycle lane use it!
There is no obligation to use a cycle lane, given most of them are unusable or completely pointless I tend to ignore them.

That second video made me cringe. IMO the cyclist was in the wrong and I was impressed the Audi driver didn't respond negatively when the cyclist started patronising him on his motoring ability, I wouldn't have been so kind.

People who tend to drive at 35-40 in a 60. Then you overtake them when it's safe to do so and you get them flashing their headlights at you!! WTF???

These are the same people who don't slow down for 30 limits so when the limit goes back up to 60 you find a lorry or worse still a whole trundle of them in close convoy so it's harder to overtake safely.

Hope you like my collective name for them....

Even worse is when you overtake and THEN they decide to speed up to the limit! c**ks

Members putting threads in the wrong section :whistle2:

The roads were being built for cyclists and horses about 200 years before the invention of the car...so who's using who's road?

Not a suporter of irritating bike users, but they do have just as much right as us motorists to use them properly...but i'm not so much of a supporter of horses, better of as Copydex IMO or leave them in a field, I don't take a sh*t out of my car window when i'm driving along, so why should horses be allowed!

That second video made me cringe. IMO the cyclist was in the wrong and I was impressed the Audi driver didn't respond negatively when the cyclist started patronising him on his motoring ability, I wouldn't have been so kind.

I agree. Granted, the driver was parked on the pavement, but it was clearly a bit of an unusual street with the width of road available and all the parked cars. Had the car been sat fully on the road, he'd have taken the wing mirrors off every car he passed.

Sure, the driver pulled away "without looking" but as a car driver you dont expect someone to be undertaking you, especially on a road like that, and you certainly dont expect some **** on a bike to fly past you thru a 1ft wide gap without slowing down or showing some caution. Its entirely feasible the car driver DID look, in his rear view, just as he were about to pull away, but by that point the cyclist was already hard over to the left and/or alongside the car. The cyclist did the same thing at the beginning of the video to the reversing van. If your on a cycle, then imo you need to realise and accept that your the odd one out, and your performing actions that arent normal rules of the road, like undertaking people or squeezing to the front of the queue, and you need to show caution. Clearly some drivers are complete buffoons, and the A3 driver in the first clip looks to be prize moron.

Cyclists often **** me off, because they get all high and mighty. I try to work with two simple rules regarding other road users, show me respect, and dont try to enforce your views and/or driving style on me, and i'll show you respect in return and will leave you in peace to drive how you want (so long as said driving is considerate, otherwise you break the first rule). Deliberately act to annoy me however and you'll get no respect and probably some abuse/horn/main beam.

For instance, if somone catches me up on a back road or fast a road, and is clearly driving faster than me, then i'll find a suitable place and wave them on past. If the same person catches me up on a back road and promptly sits right up my bootlid trying to force me faster/out the way/whatever, then they'll get promptly ignored and i might even slow down since they're acting like a knob.

Same goes with cyclists, horseriders, folk driving tractors or whatever else. If your WILLINGLY causing an obstruction, then in my eyes your a wnaker and wont get any respect from me. Someone riding their bike neatly along the edge of the road allowing me room to pass without endangering myself and my passengers by forcing me onto the other carriageway will get my respect and will be passed with a minimal of fuss. Someone riding their bike two abreast, or out in the middle of the road to deliberately stop me getting past, is a wnaker and will be treated as such. I expect someone driving a tractor to be FULLY aware that hes in a large slow vehicle and pull over whenever the opportunity presents itself should he notice a queue of cars forming behind.

The car drivers that REALLY get the red mist are the ones who deliberately try and stop you overtaking. You'll catch up with them on some fast windy A-Road because they're dribbling thru the corners, yet every overtaking opportinuity (ie a streight bit) that presents itself they floor it up to 60+ and/or position themselves so you cant see anything, leaving you either stuck behind them, or having to make a stupidly high speed overtake to get past them. All they'd have to do is notice its a streight, hold of the throttle and click the left indicator on, and you'd be out past them no problem nice and safely.

Last edited:
Reactions: ptr and liquids3
I've only read half the replies because I wanted to say the following about cyclists.

I agree that the ones that take the whole road up and dont go very fast are annoying. I am a cyclist but I also pay the extortionate road/car tax for the sh1t hole roads that we have to drive on.

When I cycle I try to stay as close to the curbs as possible but it tends to be where all the pot holes and raised iron works are. I've nearly come off my bike hitting a raised drain near the curb because the highways department cant tarmac properly.

I'd also like to point out that when I cycle to and from work I tend to be able to keep up the the traffic and sometimes go quicker than some of the motorists! I can average 20mph on my road bike and the roads I go on are 30mph max so if any motorists moan about the way I cycle they can put my plums in their mouth ;)

Dotted line cycle lane. Meaningless. Cars are allowed in there, and if the bicycle had been in it it would have only removed room for manoeuvre when the car decides to pull out without looking. Being in the middle of the road wasn't holding up any traffic -notice that- gave options, and should have actually improved the drivers viewpoint if she could have bothered to look. Sorry

That second video made me cringe. IMO the cyclist was in the wrong.

This wasn't a good situation, but you can't distinguish in this road "driver stopped taking a phone call without using the hand brake" from "driver about to pull out without looking or signalling", which is what occurred, and what happened partway through the operation. An emergency break might have stopped the bike, but the bike would have gone into the car at that point, leading to some more discussions and the video being used for the benefit of the insurance companies.

Yes, he was ****** off, but as its a 20mph zone and you have to drive half on the pavement, it's not a road to go faster than a bicycle anyway. It's narrow --certainly I wouldn't park there. I've seen a lorry catch a parked car and get 8 metres down the road before it noticed and ripped off half the bodywork.

I was impressed the Audi driver didn't respond negatively when the cyclist started patronising him on his motoring ability, I wouldn't have been so kind.

No, compared to the driver the previous week, he was good. He was looking where he was going, he was paying attention. Driver #1 "I will pull out onto the main road without looking" lacked such skills. He just didn't give any warning when he pulled out.

Dotted line cycle lane. Meaningless. Cars are allowed in there, and if the bicycle had been in it it would have only removed room for manoeuvre when the car decides to pull out without looking. Being in the middle of the road wasn't holding up any traffic -notice that- gave options, and should have actually improved the drivers viewpoint if she could have bothered to look. Sorry
No im not talking about the incident!,the blokes obveously looking for people to make mistakes to make a vidieo about it,and obveously there are drivers that are in the wrong you are right and like i said don't give them abuse,the point im making is theres a bike lane its there for a reason use it thats what wind's me up!,what a waist of money when people with bikes don't pay anything to be on the road regardless if you have a car as wel!!,why do you think its there for everyone or for a joke???

Lots of cyclists with headcams posting on YouTube,it seems to be a crusade