Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
    Reverse Gear

Status

Hi wrong place but no-one posts in Audi classic and you use the same engine in A3/S3?

Hi all I just bought a nice mint condition 1998 Audi 80 Cabriolet... the 2.8 V6 version and just like to know what are the best mods for improving performance i.e enlarged TB, induction kit, exhaust/tubular manifolds remap etc and if the engine handles any modifications well? Im looking for 220+ BHP what you reckon the cost and how?
    Last edited by A WithE; 25th September 2011 at 23:38.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    I didn't think there was an 8L A3 V6. The 2.8 was used in the B5 A4 though I think?
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

Neutral

Status
    Completely wrong area mate, A3/S3's dont use the 2.8 V6, Try the A4 forum, I had the same engine in mine and the general consensus is mainly supercharging, Brings them up around 300bhp with supporting mods, expensive though!

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    I'm not sure of the mapping capability but just go down the lines of N/A tuning like you said inc

Cams, head work, ITB's? or even engine conversions using modern day audi engines
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available
    FOR SALE
    Sparco Torino 2 sport seats, None resonated Milltek exhaust,
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    I'm afraid that engine isnt fitted in the 8l platform.
    I wonder if its basically a vr6 engine?
    If so theres so much potential for tuning. However most big power increases are through turbo charging and super charging, both being very expensive, but supercharging being the most affordable.
    if both of those are too expenaive then best way to get power from them (although not a lot) would be improving the breathing, so induction side of things, larger i-take and big cone filterl and big air duct, exhaust manifold and full syatem would also improve power, and a remap to accomodate these mods would prob see you 20hp gain, but like i said, on naturally aspirated cars the increase from a remap and bolt on mods isn't great.

If i were you id find out if its the same engine used in the mk3 golf vr6 and get onto some golf forums. Best of luck

SK
    Last edited by superkarl; 25th September 2011 at 23:48.

Neutral

Status
    Its not the same as the Vr6, Best place i found info was on Audi world, Plenty of blokes over there with them, I only had a K&N panel filter on mine but found that helped a fair bit, Quite noticeable, Get on there and have a look around the B5 A4 section, Plenty of good helpful blokes on there, With plenty of knowledge on the engine in question!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    I'm afraid that engine isnt fitted in the 8l platform.
    I wonder if its basically a vr6 engine?
    If so theres so much potential for tuning. However most big power increases are through turbo charging and super charging, both being very expensive, but supercharging being the most affordable.
    if both of those are too expenaive then best way to get power from them (although not a lot) would be improving the breathing, so induction side of things, larger i-take and big cone filterl and big air duct, exhaust manifold and full syatem would also improve power, and a remap to accomodate these mods would prob see you 20hp gain, but like i said, on naturally aspirated cars the increase from a remap and bolt on mods isn't great.

If i were you id find out if its the same engine used in the mk3 golf vr6 and get onto some golf forums. Best of luck

SK
    If thats right, then its not that far different from the 3.2 V6 used in the 8P chassis if thats the case, as that is a VR6

www.essexdriversclub.com

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Powelly View Post
    Its not the same as the Vr6, Best place i found info was on Audi world, Plenty of blokes over there with them, I only had a K&N panel filter on mine but found that helped a fair bit, Quite noticeable, Get on there and have a look around the B5 A4 section, Plenty of good helpful blokes on there, With plenty of knowledge on the engine in question!
    In that case similar to the 2.6 V6 in the B4? Which means it's a real V6 and none of that VR nonsense!

www.essexdriversclub.com

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    According to powelly its not, its a proper v6 lol.
    But still; same rules apply, improve the breathing of it, get it mapped. I guess the hard part for him is sourcing manifolds and other parts.

Neutral

Status
    Yeah its basically an updated version of the 2.6 V6 from the B4, Manifolds and stuff like that are best sourced from the US unfortunately, there isnt that much available over here off the shelf,Though Awesome might have started getting bits from ECS as they have for the 1.8T's.

3rd Gear

Status
    It will be the same engine as I have in my A4 2.8Q,

If you want to tune swap it for something with a turbo engine, the supercharger kits are very expensive, and nothing else is worth bothering with.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _
    Driving a 2004 B6 Audi S4 - Stage 2

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Nogaro S3

Status
    Isnt the 2.8 V6 out of the 4Motion golfs, could be worth a visit to Mk4's net

5th Gear

Status
    Progressive nos kit, 100bhp shot,11lb bottle in the boot
    £1100 Hey presto quick Audi

Comrades of Vag find us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/comradesof.vag?ref=hl

Brum brum

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyh View Post
    Isnt the 2.8 V6 out of the 4Motion golfs, could be worth a visit to Mk4's net
    Nope, this is the longitudinally mounted Audi V6 engine and is not related to the transverse VR6.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP