2 problems i need advice on......

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
First one.
Whats the best way of tightening up the front upper strut nut, the 21mm nut that sits in the front upper strut seat? Ive got a 21mm drop spanner and ive tried using a 11mm socket and spanner the dampener but it just doesn't seem to tighten up, there's so much force on it but yet it loose!

Secondly.
Ive found out the rear hub has lost its threads, thats why the rear suspension set-up had a nut and bolt instead of just a nut! Whats my options, can i use thread lock? can it be re-threaded?

Dan.

There are 2 nuts at the top of the strut one on top of the bearing, and the final top nut that you do up once the strut is on the car, if the lower nut is not done up tight then it will clonk and no end of tightening the upper nut will help, I had this problem recently when fitting my Bilstein B8s if you remove the top nut and the metal plate you should be able to get at the lower nut and tighen it, if it wont tighten then youll need to release the spring tension with spring clamps and tighten it. Hope this helps

Nige

Last edited:
No, sorry mate, i mean the top one, not the one that holds the bearing and top mount in place. Ive been told to go to a garage and get them to use a airgun/impact wrench as thats the best way.

if the lower nut is not tight, it wont matter how tight you do the top nut it will still clonk, if the top nuts not tight of course then an air wrench will sort that aspect for you but I'd be surprised if you've used a drop spanner and allen key in the strut if you've not been able to tighten it but hopefully the air wrench will for you.

No, sorry mate, i mean the top one, not the one that holds the bearing and top mount in place. Ive been told to go to a garage and get them to use a airgun/impact wrench as thats the best way.

Air gun and pulse it on as opposed to just holding the trigger at full whack is the way I'm told!

if the lower nut is not tight, it wont matter how tight you do the top nut it will still clonk, if the top nuts not tight of course then an air wrench will sort that aspect for you but I'd be surprised if you've used a drop spanner and allen key in the strut if you've not been able to tighten it but hopefully the air wrench will for you.

Yeah its quite tight, to the point where the 11mm dampener fixing is staring to shear.

Think im may just nip to kwik fit and get them to air gun it.

think mine was a allen key iirc, so I ground 2 flats on a socket, allen key through the middle then spanner on the flats on the socket.