Remap Q's...

robthehungrymonkey

Reaction score
After reading many posts prior to this one, hopefully I won't be repeating previously asked questions (which I probably will).

I had the REVO trial at the weekend, pretty good (obviously!!). Car seems to be running fine and everything, and my plan was to go to AMD to get it done due the RR before and after.

My question is, is it worth me travelling the extra distance to go to AMD? I have closer REVO and APR dealers (and am really close to QST, but don't want to pay £400 on top of the AMD price!!). As the car seems to be running fine, is it worth the hassle?
Do AMD change any of the generic code they use? Or is it purely the rolling road?(that's extra) And (i know this is probably more of a personal choice) does anyone have experience of a direct comparison between an AMD chipped S3 compared to REVO/APR??

Sorry, if i'm going over previous posts.

Rob. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Rob, First of all I personally would rule out QST simply because of the extra cost.

As for going to AmD when you have local tuners available, I would go with the local tuner if it is too far to go to AmD!

Revo and APR are pretty popular so you won't go far wrong with either. I would however get it Rolling roaded prior to make sure but other than that I would go for it.

Try and find a APR/Revo tuner with a RR.

hope this helps
Rich.

Thanks, DIsckyS3,

To be honest already ruled them (QST) out due to the cost (shame as they're so close). Will have a look to see if the local dealers have a RR.

APR / Revo cars performed equally well at the recent RR session I attended and I'm very happy with my remap.

Dont worry about the lack of RR session, just get the full software /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Adam

ive had a APR on my golf and a AMD remap on my A3

personally i would go with AMD as you get an actual readout of what your cars performance is before and after...

with APR to get the same experience you would need to goto a place to get it RR and then get it chipped and then RR again...

by the time you have done that you will be at the same cost as AMD maybe more..

plus AMD develop their software there and then so they will adjust your dyno as smooth as possible whereas APR is just a standard code but they may mess around with it a little bit.. but no promises...

hope this helps.

Hmmmm, I think I will probably go with my first choice with AMD, as at the moment they are cheaper then APR anyway. Although, my time and travelling costs might counter that.....

None of my local Revo or APR dealers have a rolling road available.

Still open to other opinions though.......

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm, I think I will probably go with my first choice with AMD, as at the moment they are cheaper then APR anyway. Although, my time and travelling costs might counter that.....

None of my local Revo or APR dealers have a rolling road available.

Still open to other opinions though.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Only a 2hr drive from bighton... Straigh along the coast to southampton then up the M3/A34 to bicester.

Rich

I'd probably go M25 then M40, but that's just me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
i did warrington (manchester/liverpool area)

to AMD in under 2 hours.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got a fast car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Hey Rob,

Not meaning to throw a spanner into the works.... but I have a sneaky suspision that AMD won't touch your car because the REVO software is loaded onto the car....... albeit its a trial, but the software doesn't go anywhere after the trial has expired.....

..I would call AMD and check whether they will be able to help you before you make a decision and set your heart on one over the other....

Personally I have had REVO on my previous three cars........but am liking the AMD route just for the fact that you get the RR and a slight tweaking for your own car.....

Just a thought matey..... good luck and keep us posted!

Yans /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Speak to QST as there may be a deal to be had. I use them all the time as I am in Tunbridge Wells

If youve had the revo trial you'll need to go back to the revo dealer where you had the trial and ask them to upload a standard map to your car. They may grumble about the the fact that your going to another company after your trial but other than that it shouldnt be a problem or otherwise AMD will happily charge you £100 for the pleasure.

Just general negotiation. I think that I get my servicing and parts cheaper as I am in the trade, but they seem to be very fair

I will ask QST if they will get a bit closer to AMD's price, also, does anyone know if AMD are open on Saturdays? Just easier to get there whilst I'm not at work!

not quite - you revert back to Revos version of the standard map.. Remember they keep a marker in there to stop you getting multiple trials..

Dunc

Ah, ok. That sounds ok. Was going for a standard remap anyway, I didn't think AMD did a one-click version for the S3? And did i read somewhere that some people have had issues with it?

Thanks again for all the info!