Unable to brim my car!

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Anyone else experienced this with their S3? It's happened to me twice over 10 years, and ok, I don't exactly use my one much, so maybe a more regular occurance for you mileage munchers?

Basically, whilst filling up, it seems the fuel is frothing up, and the bubbles makes it's way up the filler neck and causes the pump to click! I could only get 3/4 tank in and gave up when it hit 50 quid, despite waiting 10 secs between each click, to let the bubbles calm down.

It happened once many moons ago @BP, and last week @Shell.

The only thing I can think of is, I ran the fuel tank to as low as I would dare, which was 20 miles with the fuel light on, since the V-power had been sitting in my fuel tank for 12 months or so, so I was worried it may have gone off?? Car drove perfectly fine and made good power with 12 month old fuel anyways.

Thoughts and opinons?

You dont wana know what i thought the thread title was at first haha.

Not sure why tbh mate, but saying that i very rarely brim my car, i seem to use more fuel if i have a full tank, haha.

Reactions: rhubarb4, Kaibo and liquids3
You dont wana know what i thought the thread title was at first haha.

Not sure why tbh mate, but saying that i very rarely brim my car, i seem to use more fuel if i have a full tank, haha.

Same:lmfao:

Think some pumps just splurt faster than others tbh. I get it loads on both cars but depends where I fill up. I just let off the trigger out a little and pull the nozzle out a tad.

When your filling up next, look to the left of the filler cap there is a black rubber button. When youve put half in press it and it releases trapped air, youl here it rush out, I got an extra tenner in my tank when I did it once.

Same:lmfao:

Think some pumps just splurt faster than others tbh. I get it loads on both cars but depends where I fill up. I just let off the trigger out a little and pull the nozzle out a tad.

I tried this, and it was splashing bits of fuel outwards, quite annoying!

I always brim mine and never found that. Maybe they are mixing air with their fuel lol.

I think it's daft not to fill it right up. It doesn't last long lol.

I've had that happen on a few different cars over the years mate so I assume it's the pump playing up, not the car...

i get this in some stations, although I find it's usually the angle of the nozzle, and twisting it round usually solves the problem for me.

As others have mentioned, this is the pump pumping too much fuel causing the froth and subsequent click. I try to avoid holding the pump nozzle fully open which usually works.

When your filling up next, look to the left of the filler cap there is a black rubber button. When youve put half in press it and it releases trapped air, youl here it rush out, I got an extra tenner in my tank when I did it once.

Cool not noticed this, is it on all S3's?

Its happened to mine a couple of times, i just wait a little while then start again, its happened to me on a few cars, my ex's Suzuki Swift was notorious for doing it.

Chris

Good to know it's not just me then, I tried the half was in method, and the lightly pulling of the trigger method also, to no avail. Should be enough to get me to Bill's and back tomorrow though! :)

i`ve had the same prob... 50 quid is my limit before it plays up

I got used to filling up really slowly when filling up with my 'old man' V reg 5dr Civic Vti that clicked if you went too fast and didnt angle it right. The S3 is no where near as bad but I take it quite slow and normally get around 58 litres in about £83-84 V-Power! :faint:

But I didn't know about this button? Not sure I've even seen it?

If it's only happened a couple of times it's more likely to be the pump tan the car. At my local Shell station some of the pumps continually cut out whereas others are fine. Same nozzles, just different flow rate it seems. In fact some of them just seem to slow down as I'm filling up and then cut out before the tank's anywhere near full, almost as if the flow rate is too low. Very weird and very annoyong.