EM TuningVolks Autos

Thread: S3 problems

Neutral

Status

S3 problems

Hi,
    As a newcomer to the forum and only having the S3 for 8 months after reading numerous posts of the woe's of S3 ownership whats the best option to keep it runnig ok as mine is a 1999 model APY engine code . 66000 miles fsh.
    1. How do i stop the engine from breaking the piston rings and distroying the engine? do i change the oil every 6 months or what or is the distruction inevitable or is it related to driving style,
    2. Is it luck that determins the problems do i have the rings change now before they go or a full rebuild or what.
    3. Do i get rid of it and get a later model then again i'm not keen on the face lift dash ,much prefere the black shiny effect.
    4. Do i get rid and return to a old bullet prof 90q.
    Any advice much appreciated.
    All the best Merdock

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status

Re: S3 problems

first time ive heard piston rings and S3 mentioned in same sentence,

ive been around various forums since dec 2001.

and owned 2 new S3's in that time

i wouldnt worry about it.

the 1.8T is a very strong tunable lump.

imported_Stewart

I've got an AGU engine (Golf Mk4), 113k miles, sweet as a nut with just short of 250bhp...
    www.uk-mkivs.net has a VERY large following of VAG owners and ive never heard of piston rings going...

Dont worry about it.

5th Gear

Status

merdock

could you post some links?

i've done a fair bit of reading too and never come across piston ring problems

imported_ashs3

APY engine code is the first of the S3 engines and in the last week I have seen one in the flesh in bits at a local VAG indi by me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] the technician doing the full rebuild (2800 worth) has spoken to former work mates at different dealers and they have had 4 in the last month with this engine code and piston problem, so it is about, just not popped up on this forum b4. I would speak to Audi UK and see if they can help at all.

S3 Drift King!

Status

Ah crap, I've got an early S3 - 1999 model - but only 49K miles so far, so I better start saving for a engine rebuild then. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

not popped up on this forum

or tyresmoke
    or rs246
    or tt forum
    or tt quattro forum

etc etc

thats a fair coverage and quite alot of owners. I still see no need to panic.

imported_ashs3

[ QUOTE ]
    not popped up on this forum

or tyresmoke
    or rs246
    or tt forum
    or tt quattro forum

etc etc

thats a fair coverage and quite alot of owners. I still see no need to panic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to make people panic, just stating that a few dealers are seeing these engine code model S3's coming in with blown pistons, not saying it WILL happen to all APY engines but something to keep an eye on.

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi,
    As a newcomer to the forum and only having the S3 for 8 months after reading numerous posts of the woe's of S3 ownership whats the best option to keep it runnig ok as mine is a 1999 model APY engine code . 66000 miles fsh.
    1. How do i stop the engine from breaking the piston rings and distroying the engine? do i change the oil every 6 months or what or is the distruction inevitable or is it related to driving style,
    2. Is it luck that determins the problems do i have the rings change now before they go or a full rebuild or what.
    3. Do i get rid of it and get a later model then again i'm not keen on the face lift dash ,much prefere the black shiny effect.
    4. Do i get rid and return to a old bullet prof 90q.
    Any advice much appreciated.
    All the best Merdock

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Don't run too much boost and keep an eye on the oil. I'm going to change mine every 6k regardless of what AVS tells me... 17k is too long to have the same oil in the engine.

2. See 1. Rings are NOT a common problem on the 1.8T in any incarnation even those running crazy power.

3. Not sure what black shiny part you're talking about. ALL S3s have the piano black inserts regardless of age. Dash changes are minor. Silver bits on the heater controls and different air con unit are the only 2 I can think of.

4. No [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

A

Status

Merdock,

As mentioned above, don't panic about this. Its not common for this to happen, but if you are that concerned then take out a warranty rather than change the whole car.

Just a thought
    Rich.

Neutral

Status

Hi ,
    Thanks for the input guy's ,who does warrenty's for used cars after you bought one or should i extend the current warrenty that it came with don't know if it's worth the paper it's printed on?
    Thanks Merdock

imported_ashs3

RAC warranties, I got a quote from http://www.quotelinedirect.com/warranty for my 2001 S3

5* Cover (Available for vehicles up to 6 years old with a recorded mileage of less than 60000 miles. Maximum claims limit is 3,000.00 per claim)

12 months = 598.00

You can get a quote direct from RAC, but have not called them as yet to see if there is any difference.