Bad vibration at 3k revs

jdas03

Reaction score
Typical, no sooner had I been thinking of either selling the car, or keeping her and replacing what needed replacing and i have a problem...

As of today when the revs hit between 3 and 4k i get a worrying vibration, it quite audible and you can feel it in the car.
I have replaced the dog bone mount about a month ago so its not that...
The noise goes away after 4k, the car seems to pull fine and on initial inspection no pipes or hoses have blown off.

Any ideas on what this could be?

I am hoping its nothing expensive :-(

hmm i have this same noise since i had my downpipe and sports cat put on i just thought it was my downpipe catching on the car body with it been chunkier that the standard downpipe.

Mine has done exactly the same, like coatesy says I've had a decat and full pipe put on and it vibrates when accelerating at around 3k revs. Seems to get quieter once the engine has warmed up

ah safe clad to see its not just me im going to check everything over when i get under the car when i get my fmic and iv got somebody with me that knows what to look for.

rich did you go for a bigger sized downpipe ? thats all i can think of it been because the standard downpipe was quite small with loads of bends in it

sorry rich, didnt mean to like and unlike all that, was bored and clicking around and ended up doing that :-S

Thanks for the replies, mines running standard exhaust and downpipe, suppose its possible i could have a problem there?

Any one else any experiences of these vibrations between 3 and 4k revs?

Ah ok, if the DMF is out of balance is it a replacement clutch and flywheel job?

Ok it could well be a flywheel... When i dip the clutch when it is vibrating the vibration stops.
I am getting an opinion tomorrow and then have to look at how much its going to set me back and what clutch flywheel to opt for!
Will keep all posted in case anyone else is having same problems.

Same here @ S3, '99, 95.000 km (cca. 60.000 miles), APY.

I found it out with clutch dipped... Not a violent driver, few violent starts, so it may be clutch.

Yep like the others have said it sounds like it could be the flywheel.