AH FabricationsJMB Retrofits
    3rd Gear

Status

Approaching 100k

Hi all,

I have a 51plate S3 on 93k miles.
    I have recently been considering selling up and getting something with lower mileage, but I still very much love the car.
    After gauging the opinions of people on here (thanks guys) I am now considering sticking with the S3 for years to come.
    To stop myself from burning money, the mods are going to be minimal, i am more keen to get the car to run problem free for years to come.

My question is, what are the big things that need doing or tend to let go around this point?
    I have taken car of the usual services myself with regular oil changes, and recently serviced the haldex unit.

What i'm trying to do really is weigh up the cost of keeping the S3 in the next couple of years vs a new car.

Thanks in advance for your help :-D
    SPEC/DONE:
    Bose, 18" Wheels, Recarro, EBC Turbo Groove discs and Yellow Stuffs pads, TT Pedals, Coilovers, R-Tech Stage 1, Yellow dog bone mount, Powerflex Front ARB Bushes, FK AK Street Coilovers, LCR Front Splitter

WANTED/TO DO:
    R32 Rear ARB (or uprated ARBs front and back), S3 Armrest, Brembos, FMIC, 3"DP, Cat Back Exhaust

2. # ADS
    ADS

Nogaro S3

Status
    I dont have an S3 but an A3 on 136K and nothing has needed changing so far, well front wishbone but thats it since having it, It is Vag and so its v.well built, if it is serviced as you have said you will have no trouble, Cambelt may need changing if it hasnt already been done and if it has you wont need to worry about it till 140K

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    At 93k I'd say that's low mileage! My track car is on 207k at the moment, and my daily somewhere above 120, and to be honest, they're both like new still.

If it's properly looked after the 1.8T will go on forever
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

The stigs ugly brother

Status
    I agree with the above posts ^^ iv had a 1.8t with over 150k and it was spot on apart from replacing the usual stuff... ie buschs, coil packs. Then went and bought a lower mileaged one and had plenty of grief lol. Only sell up if youv looked at all the outcomes, as all the new cars that can match the s3 in spec are about 5 times as exspensive. Iv got an a3 with an s3 interior and its somthing that im gonna have to compremise on when looking for another audi .

S3 Drift King!

Status
    The only thing I would consider is the oil pick up @100k miles.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

Another S3 owner....

Status
    Don't tell all your list of cars gone....left with lower mileage than they came in !
    02 plate - 2002 - 225bhp - S3 - Ming Blue - completely standard - nuff said, OK there's a centre armrest, sunroof, BOSE speakers & black leather recaros, oh and the non OE chrome pack !

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoal007 View Post
    Don't tell all your list of cars gone....left with lower mileage than they came in !
    I'd never consider it to be honest, but it worries me how easy it is.
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The only thing I would consider is the oil pick up @100k miles.
    Only if it's been serviced irregularly and hasn't been run on Quantum.

Mines on 175K and it drives better than my girlfriends on 100K, being a 51 plate it's probably a pre facelift as well? And NOBODY can argue that pre facelifts aren't better built than facelift cars.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

5th Gear

Status
    Facelifts are better - fact. Especially silver ones. With anthracite rims.

Anyway, now that's cleared up what I was going to say is that I am constantly mulling this over in my mind too. I've owned my S3 for 2 years and love the car (looks, interior, handling, 4WD, performance) but can't decide whether it's worth keeping for the long run (another 5+ years) or potentially changing for something else in 2-3 years' time. If I keep it then I'd like to make a few modifications over time, but if I change it then I'd rather save the cash & put it towards something else. All the time I'm thinking about this I'm not making any changes in case I do decide not to sell it. Aaaargh!

At the end of the day they're great cars, well put-together and certainly good for 200k with the right care. So what's the point in changing it for something with even more electronic wizardry that can go wrong and less driver involvement as a result? Whenever I attend Audi meets it's always the older cars that attract me more than the new metal - just have more character in my view.

Think I'll keep mine.

But maybe I could sell it and buy a....

Aaaaargh!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    Only if it's been serviced irregularly and hasn't been run on Quantum.

Mines on 175K and it drives better than my girlfriends on 100K, being a 51 plate it's probably a pre facelift as well? And NOBODY can argue that pre facelifts aren't better built than facelift cars.
    Bad advice dude.
    How many people on here bought their S3's brand new? They're not going to know how it was treated for the first part of it's life,a nd to be honest, even if it's followed the 10k service intervals, I'd still recommend doing the oil pick up at 100k, better to be safe than sorry!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Bad advice dude.
    How many people on here bought their S3's brand new? They're not going to know how it was treated for the first part of it's life,a nd to be honest, even if it's followed the 10k service intervals, I'd still recommend doing the oil pick up at 100k, better to be safe than sorry!
    This really! My mates Passat died from a blocked oil pick up @96k miles, FSH etc., and running 100bhp less than my engine. I think I'd get mine checked out sooner than later, when I hit 90k ish, if I ever get there! lol

The 156k miler I sold recently had the oil pick up replaced also just after 100k miles off the top of my head, by MidlandVW, and that car had no expense spared FSH!!

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

3rd Gear

Status
    How much is replacement oil pickup pipe?
    Other question is the turbo, how long do they usually last? guess your looking at a grand of work if the turbo pops?
    I am aware i am also on my first clutch so pretty lucky that its held out this long i guess lol
    SPEC/DONE:
    Bose, 18" Wheels, Recarro, EBC Turbo Groove discs and Yellow Stuffs pads, TT Pedals, Coilovers, R-Tech Stage 1, Yellow dog bone mount, Powerflex Front ARB Bushes, FK AK Street Coilovers, LCR Front Splitter

WANTED/TO DO:
    R32 Rear ARB (or uprated ARBs front and back), S3 Armrest, Brembos, FMIC, 3"DP, Cat Back Exhaust

Status
    Turbos will last for ages if they're well looked after, decent oil changes, allowed to warm up and cool down, nothing to worry about at all.

Oil pickup costs about £7 I think, and takes about an hour to change whilst doing an oil change (drop the sump whilst the oil is out)

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Turbos will last for ages if they're well looked after, decent oil changes, allowed to warm up and cool down, nothing to worry about at all.

Oil pickup costs about £7 I think, and takes about an hour to change whilst doing an oil change (drop the sump whilst the oil is out)
    Awesome thanks prawn, i may get audi to do that as part of a service then if its not expensive! worth doing for that price!

And good to hear about the turbo longevity, i was thinking 100k was about it for a turbo!
    SPEC/DONE:

WANTED/TO DO: