A Few More Catch Can Fitting Questions??

A3 T

Lord Of The Rings
Reaction score
I've been looking at the guide posted on here and I've got a few questions.....lol

1. This isn't just c a catch can question ... I want to remove the relay box and mount the can there but in the guide it says to just remove the relay and tuck in into where the wire come out.

My relay box has two relays in there so my question it, What are these relays and will they both fit in that compartment?

img2011091500489.jpg

2. What do you guy use to plug the holes that are left behind ?

3. It looks like the hose that comes from the catch can inlet goes to the top of the manifold a T’s off to the front of the engine, but i cant work out where that is.

Thanks for any help given ;)

1. This isn't just c a catch can question ...

...this is a marks and spencers catch can question?

What are these relays and will they both fit in that compartment?

not sure what they're for. I have seen people tuck them into the plastic ducting before, i see no reason to not be able to squeeze two in there. I think people have wrapped them in a lil plastic bag too, just in case.

Was it you who routed you boost gauge pipe through there? Remember how much room there was?

What holes? The idea is to then remove the relay 'carrier' to make room for the catch can. I think someone even modified the relay carrier braket to carry the catch can for easy removal. Good work to whoever that was.

3. It looks like the hose that comes from the catch can inlet goes to the top of the manifold a T’s off to the front of the engine, but i cant work out where that is.

I think you mean the pipe that goes to the crankcase breather which is on top of the oil filter housing

Q.

A question i have for people is that the original system used the vacuum from the inlet manifold and the PCV valve to draw the blow by gasses out of the crankcase. Looking at the guides this vacuum feed from the inlet manifold has been deleted. I guess that the vacuum isn't necessary to draw the gasses out of the crankcase?

A. ___

Use a separate sheet of paper if you need additional space

1. This isn't just c a catch can question ... I want to remove the relay box and mount the can there but in the guide it says to just remove the relay and tuck in into where the wire come out.

My relay box has two relays in there so my question it, What are these relays and will they both fit in that compartment?

Cant remember what they are for but both will easily fit into the eire ducting to the right of it.

What holes do you mean?

The inlet of the can comes in from the rocker cover, the T'd bit goes down under the inlet mani and into the top of the oil filter housing. You will see this if you follow the dipstick down.

The can outlet can then vent through the hockey puck and back into the TIP or scrap the puck and vent to atmosphere.

Sorry i should have been more clear but i was half asleep when i made this thread (a bit like i am now....lol)

Cant remember what they are for but both will easily fit into the eire ducting to the right of it.

I found this on another site:

a3relays.jpg

and on the TT its the same fuse box but they do different things:

relaystt.jpg

What holes do you mean?

The guide says you need to cap off the vacuum source under the manifold , the brake booster and the hole in the TIP

the T'd bit goes down under the inlet mani and into the top of the oil filter housing. You will see this if you follow the dipstick down.

The last time i had the sai/n249 plate off i had a look but i couldn't see anything that matched up with he pic in the guide :(

Last edited: